Going to Barview , need some advice ,,,

T
TOJIACK FLOATMAN
Going to Barview Jetty near Girabaldi on Tuesday and need some advice. I see from satellite photo the parking is on the North jetty but as am wanting to try casting crab snares would like to know if the South side is accessable. I am abit long in the tooth and would like to hear from those of you who have actually been out on that jetty fishing or crabbing. I wont need to go more than about 150 yds. out from the beach I figure and will give myself time to carefully pick my way out along with my daughter and grandson both younger and in better shape than me. Look forward to any insight you may have .

Reactions: OnTheFly
O
OnTheFly
I've been attending a group crabbing trip at Barview campground for years. You can get to the south jetty through Tillamook but crabbing from shore will highly limit you. Your best bet is to rent a boat from Garibaldi marina. I think they offer a package deal that includes traps and bait. Anyhoot, this will allow you to cruise right over there and drop your traps right away and three traps will keep you very busy. Fish the incoming tide.

T
TOJIACK FLOATMAN
This wil be maybe a 4 hour shot at the crabs with the 3 of use using castable snares. This is my main focus as to why I am looking to get out onto the less populated South side jetty and not have to go out too far to get deeper water and sandy bottom on the extreme leeward ( protected from wind ) portion of the jetty. I have done this on other Jettys with good results. I will need to be parked at the crack of light and be moving out as high tide is 3 hrs. after sunrise. With a time window that tight I need to know just what I am getting into as far as being accessable. My daughter would gripe me to death if she had to walk more than a 1/2 mile to the jetty and even at that I am taking my chances. The boy will be like a Jack Russel Terrier the moment I let him out of the car ,,,

O
OnTheFly
I wish you luck with that snare. Tillamook Bay is full of seaweed so be prepared. Those things look like weed grabbers to me. Anyhoot, If you are familiar with Tillamook bay at Garibaldi then you may know where the crabbing fields are on the Bay side of South jetty. We crab 50 to 75 yards from the beach located between the Jaws and crab harbor. There, you could drop the kids off to play while you crab and you'd have full sight of them. Still think you should get a boat. I'll be there this coming weekend. This photo was from was last year and just one of our groups ice chests.

Last edited:
T
TOJIACK FLOATMAN
If I had more of the day set aside for crabbing I would bring my traps and a boat. Unfortunately this is a one day only mixed bag adventure with some goofing on the beach thrown in along with a local seafood lunch and have been told they will give me til noon to catch what we can. doesn't mean I can't add a bit of surf perch fishing while on the beach though. I will bring my metal detector to distract them somewhat from my extra fishing scheme. My bad or what ? Hello ,,, My name is Dave and I am a fishing addict

O
OnTheFly
Have great time out there with your kids. Weather looks like it will be good and the crabbing reports have been encouraging. Don't forget about those fall chinook as well.:)

T
TOJIACK FLOATMAN
Went to Tillamook Bay and wasted the better part of the morning incoming tide trying to access the South Jetty at Barview. There is a parking area I guesstimate to be a good 4 miles or more from the jetty with the dike road shown on the satellite map closed to all motorized traffic with a large impassable steel gate. We then headed out to Netarts near the public boat launch where the river moves in nice and close to the bank. As stated by an earlier poster the sea grass was awful. The crab snares would clog up in just a few minutes with an occasional small crab falling victim to the snares. The boy got his first love bite by a small crab releasing it from the snare,,, told him he had just been baptised in the way of crabbing. We could see an occasional Salmon boil the surface near us and tried chucking some spinners with the same issue. We were gleaning the water of sea grass and fouling the spinners. No more bank fishing for me anywhere near THAT bay for sure. Spent the rest of the day trying surf fishing on an outgoing tide out of desperation and ended up with 2 what appeared to be sea trout that were about 2 ozs. short of being equal to my 3 oz. sinker. My fishing ego took a harsh blow on this day going so far as to let the boy take cell pics to send to everyone ( mutter, mutter, mumble, mumble ).

E
eugene1
LOL TOJ, better luck next time.