Going for chinook/coho this weekend....

H
HRxPaperStacks
It will be my first time. I have a pretty decent steelhead setup, but my pole/reel is only rated for 8-12 pound test line. A lot of the rigs I'm seeing call for at least 20 pound test. I will be on the North Santiam. Do you think I will run into any trouble? Also, what advice do y'all have for a first timer? (I have caught steelhead).

D
DrTheopolis
First -- you're not going for coho on the North Santiam. That ship sailed a couple of months ago.

Counts at the Falls haven't been updated in the last week or so (not uncommon for that place), but the last update had a grand total of 16 Chinook over the Falls( which might add up to 2 being in the North Santiam... definitely no more than 16).

Last springer I caught in a trib came on 8# test. 12# is plenty.

I just don't think the numbers are in your favor, unless counts explode this week. Might be worth your while to drive an hour north and hit one of the Portland tribs (not many in the Clack, reports of a few in the Sandy).

H
HRxPaperStacks
Dang.... Perhaps I'll just hit detroit with a 6 pack and wait until the summer steelhead come through. Sorry... I was just going by the regulations.

H
HRxPaperStacks
What are some good spots along the Sandy? I don't think I've ever even seen that river lol.

S
sapo
Good fishing spots at the Sandy are going to be at the upper river. The state parks hold some fish if you go to deep parts, and the mouth of Cedar Creek is good too.

H
HRxPaperStacks
I was just looking.... is Oxbow good?

S
sapo
Yeah. If you do go, please give a report because I'll be going in May/June.

H
HRxPaperStacks
Will do. That's the plan so far. I have been out of the salmon/steelhead game for about 5 years and I'm itching to get started.

J
jesse202505
I've always used my steelhead rod for salmon and haven't broke any. And I used as low as 12lb leader. Just play the fish out better and you can land them all day

H
HRxPaperStacks
That's what I was hoping for, thanks! I always err on the light side (8-10 pound test for bass in conditions where some guys use 30 pound and universally 4# on trout). I mainly fish for the fight. I'm glad I'm not alone.