Goat Mountain Area - Williams Lake and Clear Lake

L
laylasowner
Anyone familiar with this area? Saw these two lakes on a map but couldn't find much information about them. I found a post by adambomb where he was unable to make it all the way to Williams due to a closed gate. From the map it appears there are more roads leading to it but those could be blocked too. Same with Clear Lake just north of Williams. Can't tell if there are blocked gates or not. Anyone with experience in this area would be great to hear from!

K
kornphlake
I attempted to make it up to Clear Lake last october. I couldn't make it because there were some ruts too big for my sedan to traverse. I spoke to someone in a 4x4 about the lake and he said the lake is really shallow and he'd never seen any fish in the lake, but mentioned it was a real nice place to camp.

L
laylasowner
kornphlake - Thanks for the reply. That's too bad about the fishing up there. Did you make it to Williams Lake? Or do you know of any other lakes in that area that may have fishing?

kirkster
kirkster
Williams is all gated. You can four wheel your way to clear lake.

L
laylasowner
Thanks kirkster. I found evidence of some people hiking to Williams from the nearest road. Know anything about that? And would you happen to know about-where the last locked gate is going toward Williams?

L
laylasowner
And can you verify what kornphlake said about it being shallow and lacking fish?

kirkster
kirkster
He is correct. You would be lucky to catch a couple brookies in the four inch range. And its been along time ago for that. If you don't mind a good hike find couger lake on your map its well worth the hike.

kirkster
kirkster
If you have a map and if you come in from hillockburn rd. You can get within a little over a 1/4 of a mile from williams.
laylasowner said:
Thanks kirkster. I found evidence of some people hiking to Williams from the nearest road. Know anything about that? And would you happen to know about-where the last locked gate is going toward Williams?

L
laylasowner
Kirkster... awesome info, much appreciated! Williams is stocked isn't it? Cougar sounds interesting... I'd assume some nice brookies can be found there. And as far as the hike into Cougar, how far is that one? Thanks again!