Getting into fly fising

K
kenjimua
hey all! I'm trying to get into fly fishing but i don't know where to start:(... i would appreciate it if i can get any kind of tips...
as of for right now im planning to go buy a fly combo from wall mart/bi-mart/fred meyers as of for right now since I'm kinda on a budget since i am not working yet=[

aiming for trout/pan fish as of for right now
trying to get a 4/5 wt (from what i read this is the right wt for trout right?)
i no nothing about the strings(all i know there is floating and sinking line) or the backing
and uhhh i believe thats what i can remember from what my cousin told me :confused: ....
oh and also mabey some one can take me or i meet then up some where to teach me =3
*edit #2:wall:* my budget is around 70 dollars for now i will get more $$$ later on

*edit*
thank you!

Last edited:
T
the_intimidator03
well a lot of the "cheap" combo's you can purchase from walmart, bimart, dicks etc will most likely be a 5/6wt and come with a double taper floating line. Also the rod is probably going to be right about 9ft. These will work fine for panfish, trout, and the occasional bass you may encounter.

Most of the fishing will be subsurface so flies such as wooly buggers, mini leeches, prince nymphs, pheasent tail, hares ear nymphs. You can get this weighted with a beadhead or without. A few dry flies such as elk hair caddis, adams, stimulator would provide a good all around fly assortment.
A very simple tactic and one that I find less frustrating to start out with is using an indicator. These can be thingamabobbers. I used a corkie about 1/4-3/8ths inch long and use a toothpick, cut no more than an inch long, to peg it on the line. Its just like using a bobber.

There is loads more flies you can get but these ones ive mentioned work pretty good as a basic start up. Eventually you will want a fly line cleaner and dressing and some fly floatant if you really start using dry flies.

More people will chime in and perhaps even offer to teach you a few things or even take you out fishing. I would if I was near PDX but you would be hard pressed to find me around there much lol.