Fly tying material: GSP thread.

O
OnTheFly
About the simplest thing you can tie is an egg pattern. Make a thread base, make 4 wraps over 5 strands of GloBug yarn, (usually 4 colors of the same then 1 different color for an embryo), pull down really really tight, wrap in front of the yarn, whip finish, hold yarn up and cut off straight with sharp scissors and fluff up to make a ball shape. (whew I said all of that in one breath!) It's easy right? Well have any of you fly tyers had the experience with 6/0 thread not quite strong enough to really crank down on yarn or hair patterns? So my question is does anybody use GSP thread?

B
bigsteel
I havnt tied anything using that thread but im all ears for recommendations,im sick of getting the fly all the way done to have it fall apart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O
OnTheFly
You might be able to get this stuff cheaper from Cabelas but from what I understand GSP thread can barely be cut.

brandon4455
brandon4455
ive used ultra thread 140 and that seems to work very well for making egg patterns. nevr tried gsp though ill have to give it a shot, i usually use ultra thread or uni thread for all of my flies. ive had no problems cranking down on hair with 6/0 uni but ultra thread 70 breaks a little easier.

S
steelhead1
I use the GSP thread for glo bug patterns and jigs.Works great, but is a little harder to cut.