Fly floatant comparisons

S
Spydeyrch
So I was looking at getting some more dry powder floatant for my flies. I really like the Dry-Shake (some Japanese name) that I currently have. But I wanted to see what else is out there. Frog Fanny looked to be pretty good. Supposedly, it even creates a little air bubble around nymphs while under water. Cool stuff.

So which do you recommend?

-Spydey

E
eggs
i have a loon dry shaker to dry.. then put gink on the fly and fish.. seems to work

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
S
Spydeyrch
eggs said:
i have a loon dry shaker to dry.. then put gink on the fly and fish.. seems to work

Yeah, I use gink too. I usually put a little gink on it first. Then when it is water logged, I put it in the shaker and dry it with the powder. It works well, but I am wondering if there is anything better out there.

Did you read the blog in the link. It talked about mixing parafin wax with white gas and using it as a floatant. Supposedly it was the best floatant around and worked way better than anything else commercially available. :think:

-Spydey

S
Spydeyrch
Sinkline said:
What is this, "fly floatant" you speak of??? :lol:

Randy

Sorry, let me make a quick disclaimer: Ye still water wet fly/nymph fisherman ....... avert thine eyes from this blasphemous talk before thee art smitten with an terrible curse: THE SKUNK!!!!!! :naughty:

:lol:

-Spydey

C
ChezJfrey
Spydeyrch said:
Yeah, I use gink too. I usually put a little gink on it first. Then when it is water logged, I put it in the shaker and dry it with the powder. It works well, but I am wondering if there is anything better out there.

Did you read the blog in the link. It talked about mixing parafin wax with white gas and using it as a floatant. Supposedly it was the best floatant around and worked way better than anything else commercially available. :think:

-Spydey

That paraffin/naphtha mixture is 'old school', but ironically, a young guy was carrying around a jar of it and asked me one time if I had ever tried it on dries...he said it worked better than anything else he had tried and obviously much cheaper per ounce than commercial floatant.

S
Spydeyrch
ChezJfrey said:
That paraffin/naphtha mixture is 'old school', but ironically, a young guy was carrying around a jar of it and asked me one time if I had ever tried it on dries...he said it worked better than anything else he had tried and obviously much cheaper per ounce than commercial floatant.

Yeah, that is what I am getting at. It may be "old school" but some times "old school" is better than the new stuff. If it ain't broke why fix it or try to "make it better"? :think: Right?!?

The one thing the author of the blog did mention, try not to smoke when you are fishing. hahahahahahaha!! :lol:

I can just see some angler, lighting up a smoke, then dipping his fly in the floatant, then casting and all he sees is this flaming ball of hair and fur go flying around and land on the water!!! :lol:

But yes, supposedly it is way more cheaper than anything out there, oz for oz.

So ChezJfrey, did you try the guy's floatant stuff? How did it work out for you?

-Spydey

C
ChezJfrey
Spydeyrch said:
So ChezJfrey, did you try the guy's floatant stuff? How did it work out for you?

Didn't try it...wasn't fishing dries as there was hardly any surface action at the time. I've actually got both materials on hand, so I might just have to mix some up.

S
Spydeyrch
ChezJfrey said:
Didn't try it...wasn't fishing dries as there was hardly any surface action at the time. I've actually got both materials on hand, so I might just have to mix some up.

OoOoOoO Please do!! :clap: :dance:

Let us know how the creation of it goes and how well it floats. I am really interested in making this if it works well. :think:

Just think, if you are out and about fishing, you would have a great floatant. But if you get lost and need to stay overnight, you have some kind of fuel to help start a fire. NICE!! :clap:

-Spydey

E
eggs
FlyBum has some top secret goo he uses for fly floatant.. i will let him explain..

brandon4455
brandon4455
drew has some special floatant that dave gave him as a present... :lol: (dave you know what im talking about

F
FlyBum
eggs said:
FlyBum has some top secret goo he uses for fly floatant.. i will let him explain..

I used to use this stuff made in Idaho called Poo-Goo, now I just make my own its....... like hair jell! (Something about Mary,.....anyone!) :lol:

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
S
Sinkline

Last edited:
S
Spydeyrch
Sinkline said:
Now that's funny right there! :lol:

Randy

Well good!! I am glad you enjoyed it. It was meant to make someone chuckle. :lol:

-Spydey