Fishing vests and backpacks

O
OnTheFly
I'm trying to decide on a better way to pack my gear while hiking rivers and streams. Presently I use a day pack and a small Fishpond chest pack. For the most part, I will not tie on new leader or tippet while standing in the water but instead I'll climb back up onto the bank to fix stuff. A lot of times I'll leave my packs on the shore anyways. I find that the chest pack is not big enough to be practical and storing gear in the day pack gets jumbled around and lost among food snacks and clothing. I'm leaning towards a combo vest or just a better day pack. I've looked at Orvis and Fishpond. Does anyone have the perfect set up?:think:

H
halibuthitman
flybum uses his girlfriend I hear... Im a backpack guy, chest packs don't hold **** for beers-

F
FlyBum
halibuthitman said:
flybum uses his girlfriend I hear... Im a backpack guy, chest packs don't hold **** for beers-

Ya, she's a pretty good haul mule (just kiddin honey) :) I picked up a pretty good backpack from Sage after my Carhartt fell apart over last summer chasing Brookies on the Upper D. I do have a hip pack (fanny) as well that I will pack into the BP on longer hikes and take it out to fish with. It works really well, the only problem is trying to find one I think they are very limited right now but lots of pockets, and separation of lunch and crap and it has a rod tube holder on the side. Basically it kicks azz and that's what I do when I hike a few miles in to get this type of $hipoopy:)

Last edited by a moderator:
W
wozniasm
OnTheFly said:
I'm trying to decide on a better way to pack my gear while hiking rivers and streams. Presently I use a day pack and a small Fishpond chest pack. For the most part, I will not tie on new leader or tippet while standing in the water but instead I'll climb back up onto the bank to fix stuff. A lot of times I'll leave my packs on the shore anyways. I find that the chest pack is not big enough to be practical and storing gear in the day pack gets jumbled around and lost among food snacks and clothing. I'm leaning towards a combo vest or just a better day pack. I've looked at Orvis and Fishpond. Does anyone have the perfect set up?:think:

Check out the Bargain cave at Cabela's. I have something like this but mine has a small front bag that's removable.:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Barg..._l=SBC;cat105591780;cat105740280;cat105749280

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
i use a chest pack that has a back storage compartment also - I suppose you could call it a combo pack? It's got enough room for a couple fly boxes, tippet spools, shot container, and other small gear up front. In teh rear there's room for a medium-largish fly/tackle box (or a sandwhich) in the rear compartment, with two mesh nets for water bottles (or other beverages) on either side of the rear storage pocket. There's also a few D-rings or V-rings to which I snap my net lanyard, and a Plano Guide model small zippered fly wallet. The Plano fly wallet has a quick release buckle that on the point snaps on to a D-ring. Doesn't get in the way while fishing when I keep it on my left side (since I'm right handed).

For more expedition-style trips, I still use a daypack with lots of smaller outer pockets to keep my crap organized, while leaving the main pockets for big fly boxes, substantial lunch & drinks, and room for extra clothes/rain gear if you need 'em.

O
OnTheFly
Well I've decided to go with Flybums girlfriend for my best option. Kidding of course.:D Thanks for the suggestions so far.

F
FlyBum
OnTheFly said:
Well I've decided to go with Flybums girlfriend for my best option. Kidding of course.:D Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Only if you pay me! Still looking for a Winston Biix 6wt.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
FlyBum said:
Only if you pay me! Still looking for a Winston Biix 6wt.
:think: I'm thinking that's one of the "occupations" Oregon frowns upon...I know, I'm a party pooper...:lol::lol:

M
metalfisher76
I switched to a vest 5 years ago, or so, after 15 of backpacking. I won`t back, for my backs sake. With my vest I`m able to disperse weight. + being able to tie in the middle of the river/creek has landed me countless more fish.
My dad just bought a new backpack...I guess he likes goin back a hole or 2 to get it when I look back and tell him he`s a lil light lol... JK,sorta:D... it`s a nice pack that will carry a couple chinook+all kinds of cool pockets. I/my back prefer to drag `em with a big carabiner clip. NOTE: take pics on water:)

18406ej
18406ej
It may sound like overkill but when I am fishing rivers I use a Stearns Professional Series Sportvest (currently $29.99 at the Coleman on-line outlet store). It is a class III vest with a number of pockets that I use in combination with a small pack. It is light enough for even the warmest days, and you never know when what could have been a tragic drowning would end up being just a good soaking.

J
JeannaJigs
Man I too am looking for something more practical that will save my back. I have a cabela's backpack, that is simply massive. I bought it because it advertised a bottom compartment that is insulated for "a six pack of soda" aka I bought it to keep my beer cold and handy. It's entirely too large, but my beer is cold. I can literally carry every piece of tackle I own in that thing and still shove my jacket inside. I was thinking of an over the shoulder kinda bag, and keeping it simple. Vests aren't an option when you have boobs. Doesn't work. I just haven't found anything that works for what I want...but then again I don't really know what I want. sigh. I know this mythical creature that is the perfect fishing bag does exist..somewhere...it has to.

B
bigboy70
i am in search of a perfect bag i have a huge backpack right now that contains way too big of a corkie box im sure a smaller box filled with spinners and weights got a pips a bagful of yarn pencil lead pliers jig box floats cramed in there somewhere theres gotta b a better way to carry all this stuff espcially since i got chest high waders and will be in the river a lot more then sitting on the bank any suggestions ive seen a few i want to look into off here already i did use a vest once but thats when i didn't know what i was doing and hadd a few things sign sad to say this is frustrating

D
DirectDrive
OnTheFly said:
I prefer a chest pack when on the move and for long hauls I use a frame pack that carries my rods, staff, waders, boots ...everything. Summer fishing mostly.
The big pack has a lot of pockets that help to keep things organized.

Why not continue with the chest pack for essentials and go for a day (or internal frame) pack that has more compartments ?