Fishing early this morning on the Sandy again ( video inside )

Z
zug
Wasn't to bad of a morning. i caught a sucker bonked it on the head and threw it up on the bank lol.. a few good hits but nothing for me today.. Buddy had a nice coho on but lost it..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpSZCgTUb_s <--

Someone caught a native little bit down the river. i just couldn't land anything today so until tomorrow GL Everyone!

M
Modest_Man
Losing a coho seems like appropriate karma for killing a sucker. May you only catch moldy springers the rest of your season.

C
CoastalMoe
Sorry you lost it but great job on camera guy to catch the sound of the spinner hitting the rocks as it spit it back at ya..:lol:

Z
zug
Modest_Man said:
Losing a coho seems like appropriate karma for killing a sucker. May you only catch moldy springers the rest of your season.

they want you to kill suckers.. cut one open and find nothing but baby steelhead and salmon poor out along with eggs.. get the heck outa here.

There is a reason they pay you money for them lmao..

M
Modest_Man
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
M.M. maybe a more detailed explanation would be in order? Education is wonderful, but it's best when it's shared. What do you say? :hi:

T
troutmasta
zug said:
they want you to kill suckers.. cut one open and find nothing but baby steelhead and salmon poor out along with eggs.. get the heck outa here.

There is a reason they pay you money for them lmao..

1-Sucker fish and Northern Pike Minnow are two different species. There is no place where you are encouraged to kill sucker fish.

2- Both species are native to Oregon and have a place in the water.

3-The only place you are paid to kill them (Pike Minnow) is the Colombia river, and the reason is because man made dams have made conditions perfect for the species and they eat more than thier share in those waters.

Killing sucker fish on the sandy does more harm than good.

Not harping, just want to help you make an informed decision in the future-

TM

D
DrTheopolis
While Modest Man's approach may be less than ideal...

I couldn't agree an more.

First OFF, what makes a "sucker" a "sucker"? Hint: it as a downward facing sucker mouth -- not terribly conducive to predatory feeding. Very little predation of smolts.

Second -- what do you suppose salmon and steelhead smolts eat? Hint: the fry of largescale suckers is a good chunk of their diet.

Third -- I've never heard of any program that OFFers money for killing suckers. Got a link for that?

Sorry but anyone who kills fish for any reason besides eating it is, frankly... ignorant. You should probably educate yourself about the ecosystem before launching a barbaric campaign to "save" it.

Should there ealy be streamside debate as to keeping a 5 month old springer?

D
DrTheopolis
And another point -- Zug, you just got on the internet and bragged about committing a game violation. Not your best move.

T
troutmasta
DrTheopolis said:
anyone who kills fish for any reason besides eating it is, frankly... ignorant.

Dr. You can OFFer advice with out name calling.
This is a Warning.

Let's not let this get out of hand.

D
DrTheopolis
My apologies.

But one of my "buttons" got pushed.

brandon4455
brandon4455
zug said:
Wasn't to bad of a morning. i caught a sucker bonked it on the head and threw it up on the bank lol.. a few good hits but nothing for me today.. Buddy had a nice coho on but lost it..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpSZCgTUb_s <--

Someone caught a native little bit down the river. i just couldn't land anything today so until tomorrow GL Everyone!
Please do your research and think before you act from now on. Did you know that largescale suckers eat the same things that trout do? did you also know they don't eat juvenile salmonids? largescale suckers can also be an indicator of good water quality as they survive better in well oxygenated streams.
they are completely harmless and a valuable part of any stream they belong too.

you sir are more of a problem to our rivers than a suckerfish is,and you make me sick. this is a disgusting display of ignorance and misleading information.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thank you guys, for responding. I wasn't criticizing M.M. for his view, rather, I was asking him to do what you three did, inform the uninformed, minus the sarcastic remarks.:hi:
Brandon...you know your last few comments were not necessary. Personal attacks like that are what get folks in trouble. In accordance with the rules, this is a warning. :sad:

Last edited:
M
Modest_Man
I've re-hashed the whole sucker pike-minnow thing so many times. What most people said here is spot on, except suckers will live in a toxic waste dump and do just fine. They're really not an indicator of good water quality. They do tend to get ulcers and lesions when the water quality is really bad, which I guess could be considered an indicator?

The pike-minnow bounty on the Columbia, in my professional opinion, is a horrible waste of resources and our native species. The "science" behind the program is sketchy at best and it's lead to misinformed people like zug killing suckers, chiselmouth, peamouth, and pike-minnow across the state.

Honestly, zug would have been more of a help by tossing that hatchery spring chinook up on the bank that he released in the other video.

M
markasd
Man this forum sucks bullsox. Hate visiting to see this bs - referring to the holier than thou attitude y'all have!
No worries Zug - Some say good, some say bad.. the ONE that you killed will have no impact on that river. Period.

Last edited by a moderator:
hobster
hobster
This forum is actually pretty chill, they would have eaten him alive over at ifish. People should think before they post about killing fish for no reason, and expect a backlash.