Fished LOP 10/27

J
Jimbow
Trolled from the North ramp to the dam and back. Got home by half time of the Oregon game. Couldnt keep the smolts off the rigs. Both long lining and downriggers caught fish. I returned them all and admit that I dont know the regs for these fish so I thought I'd better just enjoy a catch and release day.
Nice morning on the boat with my son in law and then got to have a family dinner with everybody while watching the ducks romp over colorado. Made for a real nice day and now a nap so I'll be awake long enough to see the beavers romp!
Tight lines to everybody. Jim

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
Those pesky smolts sure can be a pain. Thanks for sharing.

G
Goodtimes
Bith fishing and football on the same day!? Banner day!

J
Jimbow
Will these little guys turn into big guys anytime soon? I found it strange that we never really marked any schools on the finder but still caught quite a few. They must be scattered throughout? All in the 10-11" range.

T
TTFishon
Supposedly there's some big ones in there. I heard you have to troll a little faster and deeper for them.

T
Ttrolling
Is the boat ramp accessible this time of year; and if so, what's the latest fishing report on LOP?

J
Jimbow
Hi Ttrolling, I haven't been back up there since the trip I reported on. The water was quite aways down and the ramp was still concrete. The ramp by the dam is locked so you have to use the north shore ramp. As I remember we used some wiggle hoochies long lining and a chrome flatfish with the downs. A little of everything. Good luck and report in!

T
Ttrolling
Thanks Jimbow, I plan to check out the Signal Point boat ramp Sat morning. I will try what you mentioned and maybe try a wedding ring as well. I am wondering how deep to fish. My depth finder seems to be on the fritz, so an estimation would help. I will report back after the day is done.

T
TTFishon
Ttrolling said:
Thanks Jimbow, I plan to check out the Signal Point boat ramp Sat morning. I will try what you mentioned and maybe try a wedding ring as well. I am wondering how deep to fish. My depth finder seems to be on the fritz, so an estimation would help. I will report back after the day is done.

Might want to call the Army Corp of Eng to see if the ramp has been cleaned. Sometimes there 2 feet of mud at the bottom of the ramp. If you have a 4 wheel drive you can back your boat around it.

J
Jimbow
Gps speed at 1.5 - 2 mph long lining 60 ft back with 1-2 oz. lead. When I was using the downs I was anywhere from 50-100 ft. down and it all caught fish. As TTFishon says, mud could be a problem. The lower section had 6" mud but the truck chugged up through it ok. Best of luck.

T
Ttrolling
Lookout Point Reservoir Fishers

Lookout Point Reservoir Fishers

Thanks guys, I live in Lowell, so I will check out the ramp tonight. Thanks for the info.
Jimbow said:
Gps speed at 1.5 - 2 mph long lining 60 ft back with 1-2 oz. lead. When I was using the downs I was anywhere from 50-100 ft. down and it all caught fish. As TTFishon says, mud could be a problem. The lower section had 6" mud but the truck chugged up through it ok. Best of luck.

T
Ttrolling
I was able to drive by the ramp tonight and it appears to be in great shape. A couple of inches of mud have accumulated on the outside edges of the ramp, but clean concrete in the middle with plenty of room to launch even with an large boat. I plan to fish Saturday.

E
eugene1
Thanks for checking it out, good luck!

I'd love to bring my boat over there as well... we'll see.