First salmon on the Sandy

P
pdxstruve
Hi all,

Nailed my first Salmon on the Sandy on Sunday. Floated the Oxbow to Dabney stretch on a canoe and nailed this one about halfway through on a number 4 brass spinner with red blade. A nice 8.5 pound Coho.

Tight lines!
Brian

• IMG_0684.jpg
Reactions: Admin
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent, congrats!

T
troutmasta
Beautiful fish. Sounds like a fun float.

Admin
Admin
Nice catch!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Way to go, Brian! Persistence paid off big time for you. :thumb:

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
Very nice :thumb:

S
SmallStreams
An excellent start to a fine season!

C
ChezJfrey
Good fish!

S
sapo
Awesome!!! i've been meaning to get out there for awhile

F
FishOn420
Great looking fish. I was just at Oxbox Park yesterday and caught a little trout about 3 inches. I saw a few really big fish jump out of the water a few feet. I need to head back up there next weekend with some new gear and try again. Thank you for sharing!

S
sapo
Hey FishOn420, there's some really nice salmon/steelhead holes in Oxbow park, i can pm u some good holes if u want, and pretty much use some #3 or #4 spinners, jigs are good too, bobber and roe works great

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Nice fish Brian! How skinny was the water, gauge has it at 7.6ft?

P
pdxstruve
Hey Hooked Up. Picked that one up about half way through the float between Oxbow and Dabney. A nice little stretch of calmer water that was about 6 to 7 feet deep. The sun was up and bright, so I am guessing that he was down around 5 feet.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Thanks for the info. Curious if you had to drag your canoe in any low water? I can't seem to get time to fish, probably won't be able to get out until the rain is here.

P
pdxstruve
There was a few places where we had to hop out. Not too bad though. I was expecting a lot worse. First time on the Sandy in a canoe. Will positively be hitting it more often after the rains come.

F
FishOn420
Oxbow park

Oxbow park

sapo said:
Hey FishOn420, there's some really nice salmon/steelhead holes in Oxbow park, i can pm u some good holes if u want, and pretty much use some #3 or #4 spinners, jigs are good too, bobber and roe works great

i would love to hear any recommendations you have to offer. I have never been steelhead or salmon fishing and I'm bit overwhelmed with all the options on how to fish for them and where to go.

P
pdxstruve
Don't be overwhelmed man. Just toss those spinners and hold on tight to the rod :)

H
handmethewrench
Great fish! I have been waiting to hit Oxbow till after some more rain but maybe i need to get the heck out there! Thanks for sharing the spinner color, I just picked up a brass spinner. I like Oxbow, for my first winter steel there so it will always be a favorite. Coho are great eating!

M
ModernOutdoorSportsman
I caught my first Sandy Salmon this past weekend but had a really bad taste in my mouth afterwards...

A
adamg
Just hike to get away from the crowds. There are fish all over the place, you don't need to be fishing the most crowded spot on the river to hookup. I've been fishing the Sandy exclusively the last few weeks after catching my first there and I'm allergic to the people you speak of in your blog. Its legal to hike and fish anywhere on the river below the hi water mark and its easy to find good water that you'll have to yourself, if you're willing and able to explore a little.