First real steel trip tomorrow

B
Big3d
Tomorrow a buddy and I are both losing our steelhead virginity (hopefully). We have Spawn Sacs, we have corkies, yarn, I have spinners in many sizes and colors, We are prob. going to hit the Jones Creek area on the wilson. Any thoughts or ideas a couple noobs might forget or not know, i have read about locations, how to target their environment as well as how to rig corkies etc. what I would like are those little pieces of advise that will help us get familiar with this type of fishing and perhaps the water specifically... looking forward to a great day on the water feel free to pm me or reply to the thread if you have anything you might want to share.

Thanks everyone

Matt

C
cddunn
Keep moving, they're in there somewhere.

T
TimberTodd
Good luck. Let us know how you did. I am going to take off Wed. & Thur. and hit the Wilson.

B
Big3d
Well, Sunday was not a good day for us... We started at the footbridge trailhead and worked upstream to elk creek. Everyone kept telling us the water was too clear this week. is it the dark or depth that really matters? We caught nothing at all, so we went to the kiltchis in the afternoon and first cast of a spinner and i hooked a 10" cutt and quickly released it safely. a local landed a chubby hen a few minutes later. We tried everything, jigs, spinners, spawn sacks, yarn & corkies. I'd like to try again this weekend if anyone can give me any advice that would be cool...

C
cddunn
Welcome to steelhead fishin'. I got skunked today also on the Wilson. Good choice it seems to change rivers when things are slow.

G
Gaius
cddunn said:
Welcome to steelhead fishin'. I got skunked today also on the Wilson. Good choice it seems to change rivers when things are slow.

I also got skunked on Tuesday. Tried some spinners, drifting some lures, and floating some jigs. Nada.

Headed up to the Sandy next week. Hopefully the rain doesn't muck up the water too bad.