Finding elk

F
fishtales
I am having a hell of a tough time finding elk and figuring out where they will be later this year. So far I have been out to scout about 8 times since mid- May. I have seen elk twice this year (once on tc and the other time on the back side of a clear cut). I have seen lots of signs including tracks and rubs from this year and previous. I am not a seasoned hunter. I do try and get out to locat them when I can. I wish these animals were easier to find. That being said, the Pacific NW is a great place to be.

R
rum runner
your not alone.....

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
I've been hunting elk for about five years now and I still have a hard time locating a herd. Usually the only time I get on some elk when hunting is when someone else I'm hunting with knows where the herd is haha. It's quite a bit different than deer hunting

R
RunWithSasquatch
Elk can be tricky...

If you're not seeing them, are you seeing sign? Not 2 year old rubs, but are you seeing last nights sign? A lot of it?

If not, find a new place.

F
fishtales
RunWithSasquatch said:
Elk can be tricky...

If you're not seeing them, are you seeing sign? Not 2 year old rubs, but are you seeing last nights sign? A lot of it?

If not, find a new place.

I found some fresh rubs since last week and some fresh tracks but that is it.

C
capblack
i have spent some time each of the last 4 weekends in the woods, and i found fresh elk sign for the first time last sunday morning. elk bow is over after this weekend, so hopefully they will be close to the same place this weekend. is anybody else hunting with stick and string this year?

R
RunWithSasquatch
fishtales said:
I found some fresh rubs since last week and some fresh tracks but that is it.

Is there a lot of clear-cut units in that area?

Are you in a heavy pressured area with a lot of hunters? Preferably gated hunts are the best.

Get on google maps and look over the area where you seen the sign. If there are only a few clearcuts in the area, start checking the others, they most certainly are using a clearcut for feeding.

The elk we get into have been staying out in the units until late in the morning, 10-11AM, and once the heat starts to pick up they slowly feed into the timbers edge, not going far from the unit, if not right on the edge, and then feed back out once it starts to cool around 5-6PM.

R
RunWithSasquatch
capblack said:
i have spent some time each of the last 4 weekends in the woods, and i found fresh elk sign for the first time last sunday morning. elk bow is over after this weekend, so hopefully they will be close to the same place this weekend. is anybody else hunting with stick and string this year?

Between the 3 guys in my hunting group this year we've filled my tag and one other. Last tag had an opportunity last Saturday, did not pan out.

Last chance for him, took Friday off from work to head out with him to get him an elk.

Good luck All.

F
fishtales
RunWithSasquatch said:
Is there a lot of clear-cut units in that area?

Are you in a heavy pressured area with a lot of hunters? Preferably gated hunts are the best.

Get on google maps and look over the area where you seen the sign. If there are only a few clearcuts in the area, start checking the others, they most certainly are using a clearcut for feeding.

The elk we get into have been staying out in the units until late in the morning, 10-11AM, and once the heat starts to pick up they slowly feed into the timbers edge, not going far from the unit, if not right on the edge, and then feed back out once it starts to cool around 5-6PM.

One of the areas is about 2/3 clear cut and near a main road. The other area is gated year round with a long hike uphill. I think both areas are popular hunting grounds.

C
capblack
RunWithSasquatch said:
Between the 3 guys in my hunting group this year we've filled my tag and one other. Last tag had an opportunity last Saturday, did not pan out.

Last chance for him, took Friday off from work to head out with him to get him an elk.

Good luck All.

sounds like you have it figured out. im hunting alone again this year, and im mostly self taught. the only elk i killed was with a rifle, so hopefully i can get one this weekend. if not oh well, theres always late deer season. sucks there isn't a late bow elk anymore for the general tag

R
rum runner
yah no late elk is dumb.... specially when half to forest is locked down for "fire danger" it makes it kinda hard but w,e i guess thst means that many less elk to be shot and that many more for next year lol and i csnt wait for late deer rattling in bucks in the rut is freaking fun.