Fall salmon on the Wilson

brandon4455
brandon4455
looking for some info on fall salmon fishing in the wilson river. since the wilson is on the list of rivers open to coho this year i figured i would take advantage of that,due to the fact that coho are very aggressive and easier to catch on a fly then chinook.Im also hoping to teach my dad how to bobber fish this year and figured the wilson would be a good place because how many deep holes there are,but there is so much water to fish i wouldn't be sure where to start. a place to camp along the river would be awesome if anyone knows of one.

thanks for any help!!

T
tnffishman
I didn't know the Wilson was gonna be open to coho this year but that makes me excited since it gets loaded in the entire upper stretch

brandon4455
brandon4455
most tillamook bay streams plus the alsea will be open to retention of wild coho this season, of course there is a quota. i believe it's 1,000 for the wilson and the season opens oct 1st. ill probably be there the first or second weekend. already tying egg sucking leeches etc and stocking up! i dont eat wild coho but i do enjoy a day of c&r for some aggressive wild fish with beautiful colors

Last edited:
A
alm21
It's only open up to HWY 101 and the quota will fill fast. Here's the info:

Tillamook Bay Rivers Jetty tips to Hwy 101 Bridge on Miami, Kilchis, Wilson and Trask rivers and to Burtonridge on Tillamook River.

Open Fridays and Saturdays only Sept. 15-Nov. 30. 1 wild coho daily/1 seasonal in aggregate with other rivers with a 1 wild coho seasonal limit (Nestucca River).
Quota:1,000

F
FishNinja
brandon4455 said:
looking for some info on fall salmon fishing in the wilson river. since the wilson is on the list of rivers open to coho this year i figured i would take advantage of that,due to the fact that coho are very aggressive and easier to catch on a fly then chinook.Im also hoping to teach my dad how to bobber fish this year and figured the wilson would be a good place because how many deep holes there are,but there is so much water to fish i wouldn't be sure where to start. a place to camp along the river would be awesome if anyone knows of one.

thanks for any help!!

So wait we should be saving the native Umpqua Steelhead but to hell with the Wilson's wild salmon?!?!?!

Talk about hipocritical!!!!!!

Last edited:
T
tnffishman
FishNinja said:
So wait we should be saving the native Umpqua Steelhead but to hell with the Wilson's wild salmon?!?!?!

Talk about hypocritical!!!!!!

We SHOULD be saving all native salmon/steel/trout. Coastal native quotas are inconsistent and the Wilson has been getting large coho returns. I guess ODFW feels it could afford a small fishery there

F
FishNinja
I'm talking about the save the native steelhead on the umpqua thread that brandon started. You know, where he implied that anyone who would keep a native steelhead is unethical and greedy. Wasn't the Wilson open last year below 101?

T
tnffishman
FishNinja said:
I'm talking about the save the native steelhead on the umpqua thread that brandon started. You know, where he implied that anyone who would keep a native steelhead is unethical and greedy. Wasn't the Wilson open last year below 101?
Oh didn't know that...