Evening fish with the rain?

R
rippin fish lips
I am kinda leanin that way, the steelies turn on when the first rains come. It's time to go out and get some steel! Anyone gunna brave it like me?!

M
markasd
If I wasn't working I would be - best days ever were in the first fall rains...

B
bran_man
Oh yeah! I'll he out there at some point.... there's never a bad time to fish for steel!

R
rippin fish lips
Inked my 9th steelie, landed a 25" redside.

Mark i feel ya!! I love the first fall rains.

Bran man, i didn't see u out there, i got there maybe around 4.

Ok so sorry guys, instead of takin my time posting my report. With the on and off first fall rains, i decided i wanted to fish for the next 3 days. So i did... I will start with the 28 inch steelhead that gave me a wild ride! On 9/25/11, i woke up at 5:45 and hit the road. The road to my new favorite destination now that hardley anyone is fishing it. Leaberg, haha.

After wading in the dark with a dim flashlight i got to"my" hole. First daylight came, the salmon were tucked up in the brush on the bank makin room for steelhead to move in. I watched them come in for about 20 minutes allowing them to stack up (something i learned this year, to also increase ur hook up ratio). Pole is put together perfect, drag is set PERFECT, my line was brand new but my real squeaked a little bit. Number 2 blue fox, silver/yellow blade, black body with chrome sparkles. I made my first cast behind a rock, no fish that cast. 2nd cast and nothing. 3rd cast, FISH ON! 1 minute of fighting this fish and he wraps me around a boulder, I can still feel him tugging tho, I give some slack and the line comes free. 3 minutes pass by, he seems to be tired. I tail land him and off he goes through my legs forcing me to fall on my back trying to not get tankled in the line.

On the cround fightin the fish, 2 wraps of line around my right foot. I get it untangled and right as i do the fish takes off for one more bestly run. I get him in, rip his gills and tagged him. After landing the one below... i hooked into a another big fish, faught harder then any other steelie i have caught then it popped off. I was super bumbed, almost divistated as it wous gunna be my 10th one... my goal for 2011. I went back out the next morning, 9/26/11. Used my roe i had cured, caught a lil troutski. Rebait and a few casts later hook up into a big fish. It was weird, it fought the same as the last fish i had lost the other morning. The colors looked the same, faught it for not even kidding u 20 minutes. I get it in close and see an extra fin! I had wooped its arse, so i got it in, measering tape in hand i measured it, 25" inches on the dot!!! quick measurement and good realease, off he went with the same amount of energy he had before. I was so bumbed that i didn't my phone anymore, or a camera on me, or anyone in sight! Went out the next morning only to hook 3 steelies and 2 lil trouts.

9thsteeliein2011.jpg

B
bran_man
Nice report. I was out there that day but left just before you got there then. I didn't catch Any steel that day but I did catch (not snag! ha ha they are still somehow biting) about 9 or so salmon. I did end up keeping.a big fat hen that still had good eggs. I went out Sunday also and somehow caught 2 cookie steelhead hens both had good eggs in them. They were both a surprise to me! Ha ha. Anyways, I may be wrong on this, but it sounds like you could have kept that native redside if you wanted. I believe it just has to be 21" and over to be considered steelhead on the MAC and anything 24" and up as a native can be kept..... well better safe than sorry so I guess its better that you released it. But I'm pretty sure you cold have kept it as a steelie....

R
rippin fish lips
ya ur right, i could have kept it. anything over 21" in the mac is a considered a steelie. I still did not want to keep it tho, its too big of a redside to keep! :p i will let any redside go. I just got into bait fishing with roe, and i am now addicted! hope to see you out there again.

F
flipper
Your posts always make me jealous, I've hit that place so many times and have ended up skunked! Must be going to the wrong areas, heh.

R
rippin fish lips
flipper said:
Your posts always make me jealous, I've hit that place so many times and have ended up skunked! Must be going to the wrong areas, heh.

Fish the tailouts real early in the morning, look for black fins wabbling around in the tail outs. They way i have been hookin them is to watch for their tail/wake/waves created by the thrashing of the tail while the fish follows ur bait on the swing. Pay attention to the water, the ripples and seams in the water, watch them while u fish, get to know them real well. Once you got that down in your hole, thats when you start lookin for unusualy water currents/movement. If you see that while your bait is drifting, it's most likely a fish.

Be patient, if the fish hits ur bait on the swing do not set the hook right away. Instead, continue the swing allowing a little bit of slack line, that will/should trigger the fish to bite and hold. If u feel a little tug at that point, real down slow until the rod bairly loads up, once its loaded up set the hook and real like in to make sure the fish feels hooked good.

Reactions: Raincatcher
G
gjonesjr
nice report,and sweet fish bro