Epic Steelhead Day

Y
Yogidabear
I went two for three today, Lost a 16 pounder but so what, it was fun to fight. I hooked the First fish on the third cast nice hen full of eggs. Second fish was maybe 10 minutes later and it was a hog but I made the rookie mistake of not retying the leader and checking for nics it was a hatchery fish as well had him flopping next to the bank grabbed the leader and snap. third fish took a little longer, I moved upstream just 20 feet fifth cast and fish on, another buck I really thought it was a native because it just wouldnt give up, A boat came by and helped me land it very nice guy, never got his name. I did get to shake his hand.

I Picked up a new dedicated float rod last night a G loomis 1262 Stradic 3000 reel with 30 lb. power pro line, 8lb leader. What a huge difference that made for mending the line and keeping the bobber and jig in the strike zone longer and setting the hook with a 10'6" rod really helps. Today was the best steelhead day I have ever had and catching my limit was a bonus. Not great pictures.

106kk87.jpg

28u3cxz.jpg

R
RoryONeal
Nice fish. Congrats. I went out old stagecoach road today and gave up too early I think.

R
rippin fish lips
Nice fish!! Buddy went 0 - 1 today. Super low water! We were fishing number 4 spinners

B
billfisher
Way to go! nice fish and rod and reel. I quit early today with no hits, too cold for me.

O
OnTheDrop
rippin fish lips said:
Nice fish!! Buddy went 0 - 1 today. Super low water! We were fishing number 4 spinners

Try number 2 or 3's sprocket spinners in bronze or black in this water....FISH ON

B
Bgunder
Nice fish!Man I wish I could catch em' like that!I have been chasing steelies almost strictly with a bobber and jig set up since last summer and haven't touched any fish this winter(not for lack of trying)I gotta be missing something..

E
eugene1
Nice looking fish there, you need to get some of the blood on that new cork tho buddy!

F
Fish-N-Chips
Yogi is just slaughtering the fish!! Nice job!! I never grab the line to get a fish in for that exact same reason....they usually break OFF. You probably know this already but if you point your rod tip up while hoisting the fish on the bank and then get behind it and kick it up onto the bank(if it's a hatchery) that has worked for me!! Nice job on the limit though bro!!

S
steelheadstalker31
Great job, and nice fish.

R
rippin fish lips
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Try number 2 or 3's sprocket spinners in bronze or black in this water....FISH ON

#3 sprockets are where its at in low clear water. Number 4's and 5's however usually will get a biter or two. They didn't spook summers in the 4's and 5's in low clear water. But yeah good advise right here.