ELB? Other safety gear?

J
jrbecca
For anglers who go at it solo, do you carry an ELB? What other safety gear do you carry?

F
FlyBum
I like to carry a Rape whistle, Fingernail Clippers, some Water Wings, some Jimmy Hats, a few Gallons of Water, some Pudding Rags, a couple of Snow Shovels. You know, just the basics.

What is an ELB by the way, maybe you meant a PFD?? Because it's no BFD! ;)

S
Spydeyrch
FlyBum said:

Hahahahahahaha

@ jrbecca, I usually carry a small survival kit. It has a first aid kit, candles, water proof matches, 2 or 3 other fire starting devices, water purifier pump (can do over 500 liters before tit needs to be cleaned and then it can do another 500 liters!!1), a few cliff bars, 1 knife, 1 multi tool, and other small items (i.e. mirror, emergency blanket, etc). My backpack has a plastic high-pitch long distance whistle built into the chest clip (the clip is the whistle. My kids love blowing on that thing int he house!!!! :naughty:). Then I also carry a bivy sack and a sleeping bag liner. All of it together weighs a few pounds but I would rather carry that around and be prepared for almost anything. I would have my rod and gear with me so I could catch my food if needs be.

My dad and I went on a climb (alpine climbing ascent) once up in Washington (cool story but way too long to tell it all in all its glorious detail right now, hehehehe :lol:). We didn't make our time frame and had to sleep on the summit of the mountain. All we had was two emergency blankets, a few pieces of fruit, our jackets, and our climbing gear (slings, rope, etc) After that experience (it was a good one), I promised that I would put to good use my eagle scout training and always be prepared. Thus I carry the basics of what I would need to survive. And I carry that if I go solo or with a friend. It doesn't matter to me cause it will be needed when I least think it will be needed. So better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it. :D

And was is an ELB?

-Spydey

P.S. The bivy sack cost my like $90 (now they are $100) and the sleeping bag liner cost me like $50 (now $65). I got them both at REI (I love that store!!! Membership is totally worth it!!!) The bivy sack weighs 15oz. and the sleeping bag liner 14oz. The liner that I got gives and additional 25 degrees of warmth to the sleeping bag that you are using. For the price, weight, and additional warmth, totally worth carrying it around with me!! I figure that if I get in a survival situation, I will be able to start a fire. Then with my bivy sack (which is water proof and wind proof) I will sleep in my liner next to the fire (not too close to melt the bivy sack!!! :lol:) Anywho, probably more than what you were looking for!! hahahhahahaha :lol:

J
jrbecca
FlyBum said:
I like to carry a Rape whistle, Fingernail Clippers, some Water Wings, some Jimmy Hats, a few Gallons of Water, some Pudding Rags, a couple of Snow Shovels. You know, just the basics.

Consider yourself virtually mooned. One ass for another, right? ;)

ELB= Emergency Locator Beacon. I need to get one anyway before 2014, but planning some solo fishing trips in rural areas and wondered if anyone else considered using one?

Reactions: FlyBum
S
Spydeyrch
jrbecca said:
Consider yourself virtually mooned. One ass for another, right? ;)

ELB= Emergency Locator Beacon. I need to get one anyway before 2014, but planning some solo fishing trips in rural areas and wondered if anyone else considered using one?

Ok, now I know what you mean.

Well I used to use one. It was the orange SPOT. It looked like a GPS but without the screen. I used it a few times on trips a few times. Not for emergancies but it has a feature where every time I push a button, it send an email to a set list I pre-assigned prior to the trip. The email has a link to google maps and it shows my location. So every 20 mins I would press the button and it basically created a trail of where I went. It has that 9-1-1 feature where search and resure go looking for you. The device wasn't too expensive but the yearly subscription was kind of pricey. Something like $100 a year, which monthly isn't too bad but I didn't use it that much so I stopped the subscription. Now it just sits in its box, tucked away.

-Spydey

H
halibuthitman
FlyBum said:

you better have a rape whistle.. just sayin' anyway.... my safety kit is a can of redbull and an extra pack of marb reds and a lighter... most steelheaders usally just have a really fat bag of B.C hyrdo so then there really are no emercencies... everythings cool.. always-

F
FlyBum
Wow! You "Valley People" really tend to over think things a are "Worry Warts"!

I may consider an ELB if I was in the back-country skiing.

I'd like to see someone show up to the river wearing one of these!

S
Spydeyrch
FlyBum said:

Now the real question is:

What are you willing to do if someone does wear it to the river ... oh say ... I don't know :think: ...someone like maybe ..... Brad!!!! hahahahaha :lol:

-Spydey

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
halibuthitman said:
. most steelheaders usally just have a really fat bag of B.C hyrdo so then there really are no emercencies... everythings cool.. always-
I usually have a couple granola bars also:cool:

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
jrbecca said:

I don't want any first reponders knowing where I caught a fish so big I had a mild heart attack. I'll recover, then hoof it out.

J
jrbecca
troutmasta said:
I don't want any first reponders knowing where I caught a fish so big I had a mild heart attack. I'll recover, then hoof it out.

:lol: I think I just peed my pants over this one.

D
DYJ
I have a roll of electrical tape, pocket knife and a Spfd XD 45 single stack... If I can't tape it up then I'll have to cut it off, if neither of those work I resort to the above mentioned jar.... oh, and the the XD 45 is for mace happy fly fisherman I keep reading about on line... :D

Last edited:
E
eyefish
I carry a backpack with supplies, and a flint.

F
fishtales
If I am on a boat I like to take an extra flotaion devise and try to keep my cell in a zip lock. If im in the forest fishing then I usually bring stuff but keep it in the vehicle. Usually a couple 20 pound weights, tow roaps/chain, an ax, 2 machetes, cb radio, air mattress. Mostly it is stuff I keep under the bed at home in a box. :)

jamisonace
jamisonace
Troutmasta was wearing that exact pfd when he showed up to fish with me. He looked so cool I now require everyone in my boat to wear one. You know, so we all look awesome.

FlyBum said:

F
FlyBum
Please tell me that he was wearing socks with sandals too.

Maybe we can all get matching Tommy Bahama shirts with khaki shorts and socks with sandals wearing those orange PFD's. That should be the required "Uniform" to board your boat, Captain!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Haha...the picture in my head right now has me rolling. Pictures will be posted next time Jeff and I fish.

FlyBum said:
Please tell me that he was wearing socks with sandals too.

Maybe we can all get matching Tommy Bahama shirts with khaki shorts and socks with sandals wearing those orange PFD's. That should be the required "Uniform" to board your boat, Captain!

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I carry a small first aid kit, a couple different fire starting methods (boyscout type magnesium starter kit and strike anywhere matches), cell phone (not that I get reception where I fish), water bottle, a leatherman multi tool, a folding knife, a flash light, a sandwhich, and a pistol. Sometimes I take 50 feet of rope with me, if I'm planning to fish certain places. The rope makes the climb up and down the hillside safer/easier. I also, when I think of it, carry a home-made walking staff. It's made from a nicely tapered hazelnut limb that I applied a coat of sealant too, drilled the fat end and threaded a rope through and made a loop. It's abut 5'6" long, makes a good wading staff/walking staff. If I happen to loose it I'm out ten cents in rope.

I tell my wife where I'm heading out to fish, if I don't know exactly where when I leave, I text her before I'm out of cell range, that way if I don't come home at my normal time, she know where to direct searchers too. Of course that means I haven't gotten crazy and say, decided that I *don't* want to fish the Wilson anymore, and drive over to Lost Lake and explore that drainage, then get lost. Thank god for cell reception up there...

Spare tire, extra fuel, topo map, battery jump box, tarp, extra water, extra food, and a camp stove go in the back of the jeep when heading out on such expeditions anymore.