Educational first try

plumbertom
plumbertom
Down to the river yesterday for a first try at plunking for Salmon.
At least that's what I hope I was doing.
I rigged my shimano calcutta rod with a Abu 5000 loaded with 40# Spiderwire, For a terminal rig I tied on a three way swivel, a 12'' leader of 10 # to a three Oz flat sinker. then about a 40'' of 30# mono with a small pink spin'N'glow, three beads and a 2/0 red hook. On that hook I rigged a cured shrimp tied in place with some miracle thread.
Does that sound like a proper plunking rig?
Any suggestions as to changes?
I was gonna try with a wobbler spoon but I forgot my spool of 30 # leader.
One thing I did learn is I need a little heavier leader on my sinker. that 10 # doesn't work worth a hoot and I lost a weight on almost every retrieve.
No bites by the way, although I wasn't expecting any.

P
plumb2fish
Your spin glow needs to be large enough to float your bait....other than that I'd increase leader to 5'
With a wobbler, you need enough floation on the rig to keep it working, some use bobbers...

jamisonace
jamisonace
I think 30 pounds is overkill on the leader. I never run more than 20 flouro.

I never plunk tho, so maybe it's different.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Btw, you're wasting your time. Plumb caught them all below the falls.

P
plumb2fish
I hope not, I'm gonna try it on Thursday to see if I still remember how to row the boat before there's no water at all

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'm hoping to get out tomorrow and Friday. Got greased last Friday but not certain it was a salmon. Can't imagine a small fish could get all the eggs and shrimp off though.

J
Jordy
I would strongly recommend using a slider for your dropper. It allows the fish to pull line away from your lead much easier, which will lead to more hookups.

plumbertom
plumbertom
I have adopted the slider rig and a five foot long, 20 lb. leader.
I quickly try to implement the suggestions I get so long as I have the ability and tackle.