ECHO 6100-4x

M
Modest_Man
I just picked this rod up at a garage sale for $15. It's a 10' 6 wt with a fighting butt. Only thing is...it's supposed to be a four piece but I've got 5 pieces. They all fit together but when it's all said and done the rod is 10' 6" instead of 10'. It looks like I have the proper three bottom pieces (all the same length) and an incorrect top two pieces (shorter), but they're all ECHO pieces and all have the same wraps, color blank, dot to line it up etc. This was the only ECHO rod at the sale, so I couldn't have screwed up and grabbed the wrong parts.

I've heard good things about ECHO customer service, do you think they'll sell me just the correct top piece for the rod? Or should I just fish it as-is? All the pieces fit together nice, and I didn't even realize that it was supposed to be a 4 piece rod until I got home.

brandon4455
brandon4455
sounds like you got yourself a bargain, thats a good summer steel/bass rod. not sure about getting the correct sections though...maybe someone else can help

M
Modest_Man
Summer steelhead is the plan. I'm going to contact ECHO and see if I can buy just the top, if not I'll fish it as is. Can't complain for $15....though now I need a 6wt reel and line.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
MM - if you can, swing by River City in Beaverton and see Don. He's an Echo dealer, and he might be able to help you out - either to find out if there's something wrong with the rod, or if that's how it's supposed to be. And Heck, since Echo is based in Vantucky, it's not much further to drive up there if there is a problem, and you might even be able to get same-day service if you can drive up there.

M
Modest_Man
GungasUncle said:
MM - if you can, swing by River City in Beaverton and see Don. He's an Echo dealer, and he might be able to help you out - either to find out if there's something wrong with the rod, or if that's how it's supposed to be. And Heck, since Echo is based in Vantucky, it's not much further to drive up there if there is a problem, and you might even be able to get same-day service if you can drive up there.

I'll do that.

E
eggs
You lined it and tried casting it? I say if it casts good and looks good.. rock it!

M
Modest_Man
The only reel/line I've got is for a 3wt or a 9wt. And with my basic idea of what casting is I probably couldn't tell the difference between good casting and bad casting. I'm on the prowl for a cheap-o reel and line to compliment my cheap rod.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I'll 2nd Jfrey's recommendation on the Prestige Plus reel - it's a solid reel, and it's half off on Cabela's website right now for $25 vs $49. Another good option would be the Cabela's Wind River reel - regular price is $30, it has a large arbor, and it's still all metal construction. From it's appearance, I'd say the OEM is probably Okuma. It's the same weight as the Prestige Plus.

Cabela's is also marked down the Airflo Supple EX fly lines for $30 - it's a $60 line.

brandon4455
brandon4455
line doesn't have to be spendy, i use some cheap ass line on my steelhead rod. cortland 333+ or a scientific anglers air cel or whatever they are should do the job.

M
Modest_Man
How's this for customer service? I emailed saying I'm not the original owner and I need a new top section.

"Hi Jamie,

We will treat this like a warranty, our fee is $35. We accept Cash, Check or Visa or MC
This rod is not made anymore, but we still have new parts.

You may stop by M- F 8am-4pm and I can assist you with this

Anna Kittoe
Customer Service / Warehouse Manager / Warranty"

C
ChezJfrey
For some companies, it seems counter-intuitive and makes more sense to them to try getting more cash from you in this type of situation, but the way this was handled is really the best way to succeed as a for-profit company; it results in building a top-notch reputation and ultimately, more sales in the long term.

Kudos to Echo.

M
Modest_Man
Yeah for sure. I need to head up that way this weekend for Easter anyway, so I'll swing by on Monday. Pretty much sold me on purchasing an ECHO switch or spey rod when I get around to two-handed fly flinging.

brandon4455
brandon4455
love hearing about their customer service, some of the best in the buisness. glad things are going to work out for you, that rod will serve you well

M
Modest_Man
To finalize, I have a new ECHO ION 6 weight. Swung by their place in Vancouver yesterday, they couldn't "fix" the rod (if they had a spare used top section I wouldn't even have been charged $35), so I got a brand new setup including warranty, rod sock and tube, stickers, etc. Got to meet Tim Rajeff. This is after explicitly saying I was not the original owner. Customer service doesn't get any better than that.

Also, their place looked like a pretty sweet company to work for.

V
Van
Awesome

C
ChezJfrey
Yes, that is awesome. And I suppose I'm also a bit envious of this good fortune...you've gotten an Ion for what...$15 at the garage sale and $35 for warranty, so $50 total now? Sweet!

G
GDBrown
So did they take the old rod or did they let you keep that one too? If so I'll give you $15 for it! :lol: I need a 6wt to go with my 2 4wts, 5wt, and 8wt rods.

GD

Costomer service is the best advertising money cannot buy, I love it.

M
Modest_Man
They keep the old rods to use the functional parts if another older rod comes in that they can repair with used parts (for free, not even the $35 charge). So yeah, new Ion for $50 all told, and now I am the original owner with warranty card if anything ever happens to this rod.

brandon4455
brandon4455
that is very cool, that ion is a badass rod too

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Nice score!