Eau d'JCP

S
steven
I was at JCP yesterday after work, one of a few times I've been now. Has anyone noticed terrible smells in the air there occasionally? It seemed to come in waves on the wind yesterday, and it's not the first time I've noticed it. Anyone know anything about this? Nearby farm?

Oh, also: Hi! I think this is the first time I've actually made a post on OFF, though I've been a spectator for a while now.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I think its the crowds of people who stay there days on end without taking a shower! :D

troutdude
troutdude
steelhead_stalkers said:
I think its the crowds of people who stay there days on end without taking a shower! :D

Took the words, right out of my mouth! LOL

Welcome to OFF.

There are MANY better places to fish...especially now that many of the streams are open in your area.

S
steven
Hahaha, yeah, you guys are right. I'm still pretty new to the area., and I've been heading to ABC and JCP after work and on the spur of the moment because they're so convenient and the fresh stockers are usually so easy for me to catch, but I definitely need to find some new spots. Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement -- I'll stop being lazy and start trying to find better places!

(I don't want anyone to go advertising their favorite spots publicly, but if anyone has any advice for finding good waters, I'm all ears!)

P
plumb2fish
The smell is actually the fact that JCP is a cess pool for the neighboring farm animals....yumm planters

B
bran_man
steven said:
Hahaha, yeah, you guys are right. I'm still pretty new to the area., and I've been heading to ABC and JCP after work and on the spur of the moment because they're so convenient and the fresh stockers are usually so easy for me to catch, but I definitely need to find some new spots. Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement -- I'll stop being lazy and start trying to find better places!

(I don't want anyone to go advertising their favorite spots publicly, but if anyone has any advice for finding good waters, I'm all ears!)

Ha yeah I try and avoid those places but its not bad if you just want to go feel some tugs.I know they are stocking Alton baker tomorrow with a bunch of fish...

G
grampa ron
You must mean the big flock of 6 or 7 geese and a few ducks the are polluting the pond. There is only 1 farm with a few horse. I have never sen them taking a dump in the pond. The state monitors the pond as needed and I think they do a pretty good job. The smell could be the mill and piles of wood chips across the highway.

S
steven
grampa ron said:
You must mean the big flock of 6 or 7 geese and a few ducks the are polluting the pond. There is only 1 farm with a few horse. I have never sen them taking a dump in the pond. The state monitors the pond as needed and I think they do a pretty good job. The smell could be the mill and piles of wood chips across the highway.

Heh. Yeah, I'm sure that what I've been smelling is not the pond itself... it did smell very strongly of, uh, mammal waste... but it was also definitely getting there on the wind. It actually might have just been the outhouse in the parking lot. I just as often don't smell anything to write home about while I"m fishing there, but this last time was VERY noticeable.