Easy reg question

O
OregonNative
No such thing as a dumb question, right? :think:

Having not fished for steelhead for 20 years or so, I haven't paid much attention to the regs on this subject. But we are going to get back into it after the holidays, so I have been reading the Oregon Regs, which can be about as clear as the lower Siuslaw after 8 inches of rain.

When it come to the tags I know I have to get the Combination Tag. But if I am interpreting the regs right, I also have to purchase the Hatchery Tag for the clipped fin fish? Or can I use the combination tag for the fin clips until it gets filled up (in my dreams :pray:).

B
beaverfan
You use the combination tag until it's filled up. Where legal you can put a native on the combination tag, only hatchery fish can be put on the harvest card.

T
the_intimidator03
The combination tag includes BOTH hatchery and native fish, where legal to retain, until the 20 slots are used up. Afterwards you can buy a hatchery tag to harvest additional hatchery only fish which would then go on that hatchery tag. Just wanted to make sure what beaverfan said was clear.

O
OregonNative
Beverfan, Thanks for the quick reply. I was afraid I was going to have to pay for both tags start with, not that I would mind catching enough hatchery steelhead to have to buy a hatchery tag.

F
fredaevans
OregonNative said:
Beverfan, Thanks for the quick reply. I was afraid I was going to have to pay for both tags start with, not that I would mind catching enough hatchery steelhead to have to buy a hatchery tag.

Amen to that Bro., Amen to that.

P
plumb2fish
beaverfan said:
You use the combination tag until it's filled up. Where legal you can put a native on the combination tag, only hatchery fish can be put on the harvest card.

If you wait til your regular tag is filled to purchase your hatchery tag, you will be too late....you are allowed to keep 20 native salmon/steelhead a year in oregon waters PERIOD. Once you have recorded #20 you are done for the year.
You are allowed to purchase "hatchery" tags to retain fin clipped salmon and steelhead. 10 hatchery fish per tag with no limit on the number you are allowed to purchase.
You do not have to buy a hatchery tag, you are allowed to put both native and hatchery fish on your combined angling tag. If you are just getting back into the sport. I would not purchase the hatchery tag unless/until you only have a few spots left on your regular tag.
You MUST have your LICENSE, COMBINED ANGLING TAG, and HATCHERY tag on your person while angling.If you plan on recording a fish on a Hatchery tag, you must have available spots on your COMBINED ANGLING TAG as well as on your HATCHERY TAG.

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
plumb2fish said:
If you wait til your regular tag is filled to purchase your hatchery tag, you will be too late....you are allowed to keep 20 native salmon/steelhead a year in oregon waters PERIOD. Once you have recorded #20 you are done for the year.
You are allowed to purchase "hatchery" tags to retain fin clipped salmon and steelhead. 10 hatchery fish per tag with no limit on the number you are allowed to purchase.

Very true.