Drifting with lead

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
So I'm curious - for those of you that drift with pencil lead in a rubber tube, do you leave it straight, curl it up, or what's your preferred method?

F
fishing_mission
Although I don't use this method a lot when i do I leave it straight. I've seen its easier to pull out and get loose if you do get snagged.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Roger that. So does that mean that you don't normally drift or that you use another method?

H
hunt-fish-trap
when I use lead I leave it straight.

S
Scotsman70
Alternative to LEAD

Alternative to LEAD

Reconsider the use of LEAD. Use a envrironmentally friendly lead alternative when at all possible. This may take some checking on your part, but our fishy friends will thank you.

Personally, I find that slinkys do the trick. There flexible and very simple to use.

Sharp Hooks Tight Lines

Reactions: Sokkerboi
F
fishing_mission
I usually use slinkies for drift fishing but if I have none available I may use lead with tubing for drifting.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Scotsman70 said:
Reconsider the use of LEAD. Use a envrironmentally friendly lead alternative when at all possible. This may take some checking on your part, but our fishy friends will thank you.

Noted.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
So here's a question - aren't the weights inside of a slinky also lead? I'm looking for info but can't seem to determine what they're made of.

Last edited:
F
fishing_mission
I jus looked on my jar of Slinky shot and it does say it contains lead. So an alternative I'm not sure :think:

brandon4455
brandon4455
pinkygonzales said:
So here's a question - aren't the weights inside of a slinky also lead? I'm looking for info but can't seem to determine what they're made of.

they are steel shot, not lead atleast the ones i have seen

S
Scotsman70
Hey There,

TUNGSTEN and STEEL SHOT are the two goto alternatives...You may have to ask your retailer for further information.

D
desertrat
brass and steel are safe in place of lead should carry them anywhere they got lead ones. They even have steel slinky weights. glad other people are concerned about this too.

happy fishing!

whoops didn't see the last two posts you guys got it covered

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
fyi tungsten beads can be used in slinkies if you make them yourself and they are very heavy plus they are not harmful to the enviroment.

O
ORTC
lead free jig heads

lead free jig heads

Any one knows a local retail store (Portland/Salem area) that carries lead free jig heads that you can use to tie your own jigs? While I have been using lead free weights, I haven't seen lead free jig heads carried locally yet. Thanks.

V
veilside180sx
ORTC said:
Any one knows a local retail store (Portland/Salem area) that carries lead free jig heads that you can use to tie your own jigs? While I have been using lead free weights, I haven't seen lead free jig heads carried locally yet. Thanks.

First Bite jigs sells materials as well (brass or tungsten beads). Can't recall if Mark has a brick and mortar store though.

H
hookbait
brandon4455 said:
fyi tungsten beads can be used in slinkies if you make them yourself and they are very heavy plus they are not harmful to the enviroment.

I'm not sure about the beads but you can pickup the rest of the kit to make a slinky (nylon web tubing, odd little ram for the weights) at Bi-Mart.