Do you guys/gals fish in bad weather???

C
CoastalMoe
As a younger lad nothing would prevent me from wetting my line if given the opportunity... But I wonder as I get older if I am going to continue to have that fearless attitude...

At what point does weather deter you from a planned day of tugging on fish lips???

Would it factor more on rain, wind, lightning, or just simply temperature???

Has getting older made your willingness to endure the elements change in any way???

I guess I am just curious how crazy some of you true fishermen are... LOL...

Reactions: Irishrover
C_Run
C_Run
Swirling snowflakes and picking ice from the guides with frozen fingertips can be exciting and I have done that a few times. Anymore, though, I try to skip those days. Good rain gear is a must up here.

C
CoastalMoe
Who manufactures good quality rain gear?

1 nut in the water
Cool cloudy weather is definitely preferred over this hot sunny crap we have in the summer for me! I cannot wait until fall when the rains are here and the clouds are blocking that huge overly bright ball in the sky.
After 30+ years of using crap rain gear I have been doing lots of investigation on quality rain gear and I am going to go with the Stormr Stryker- not cheap but as the big 50 approaches it is time to be comfortable.........

J
JeannaJigs
Bad weather is good weather. I won't suffer for some dinky trout, but salmon and steelhead bring bad weather with them in the fall and winter

T
TimberTodd
Rain and snow doesn't bother me, but ice on the roads is another story. Lightweight and comfortable raingear is a must have for me.

brandon4455
brandon4455
the only time bad weather stops me is when it muddies the water and ill even fish when its blown out sometimes.

ive fished from 109 degree weather on central oregon lakes to 2 degree weather on coastal steelhead (during last years freak winter storm)

as long as the wate ris fishable weather doesn't stop me

C
CoastalMoe
1 nut in the water said:
the Stormr Stryker-........

Ok now that's what I need... I had no idea they made gear like that...

Chromatose
Chromatose
Fair Weather Fishing @ it`s Finest.
diehard3_zps4693dea3.jpg

Merino Wool and Gore-Tex

Last edited:
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
JeannaJigs said:
Bad weather is good weather. I won't suffer for some dinky trout, but salmon and steelhead bring bad weather with them in the fall and winter

+1

Irishrover
Irishrover
Three kinds of weather will put me in my rocking chair infront of the wood stove, with maybe a wee bit of Jameson.

1. Real windy days. It's just plane hard for me to fish in extreme wind. It hard form either the boat or the bank.

2. Ice...silver thaws are a no go for sure. Ice on the road makes for a bad trip to the water.

3. Bad ocean conditions...pea fog....ruff water.....wind.

Being retired I try to pick and choose. When I was in the work force and only had a couple days off and vaction time I would push the envelope. No need for that anymore.

Give me a nice windless, overcast day in September. I'll drop the crab pots in and go chase salmon!

S
sapo
Pretty much I'll fish in any conditions...But as far as fly fishing goes, I don't like 20+ mph winds or snow!

T
Throbbit _Shane
I only fish if it's sunny and 75 out :D

O
ol tymer
I just relocated to the coast and the first thing I did was visit Englund Supply in Charleston who have a nice variety of foul weather gear. I outfitted me and the wife with GAGE by Grundens rain gear. Made in the great ol' USofA. Didn't break us either.

P
protourist
I only get home a few times a year. Usually just a couple of days at a time. I fish in whatever weather happens to be there when I am.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
JeannaJigs said:
Says the 30 year old youngster! :bleh: I am now 64 and dealing with arthritic joints and the whole ball of wax that defines...ahem....maturity. ;) There are days I don't even want to get out of bed. But...mention fishing and I'm there! :thumb: I always take a complete spare outfit for those moments of "just in case" actually becoming "oh, damnit". I agree with getting better rain gear 100%. Get the best you can afford and even if you don't take a complete change of clothes, be smart enough to take spare socks!

bass
bass
I am happy to launch my kayak into the Willamette in anything short of freezing conditions. Too slippery for me to launch in those. For bank fishing pretty much anything goes. I used to love to fish in the dead of winter in Pittsburgh, PA. Wading through knee deep snow to go flyfishing in the dead quiet, with the water the clearest it can possibly be is a pretty beautiful experience.

That said, in PA they knew how to take care of the roads. I avoid icy roads out here like the plague.

J
JeannaJigs
Raincatcher said:
Says the 30 year old youngster! :bleh: I am now 64 and dealing with arthritic joints and the whole ball of wax that defines...ahem....maturity. ;) There are days I don't even want to get out of bed. But...mention fishing and I'm there! :thumb: I always take a complete spare outfit for those moments of "just in case" actually becoming "oh, damnit". I agree with getting better rain gear 100%. Get the best you can afford and even if you don't take a complete change of clothes, be smart enough to take spare socks!

Lol not feeling like a youngster lately, 30 might as well be a 4 letter word.

I do tend to avoid heavy ice/snow conditions as far as driving goes (except I drove to Seattle in February when there was 14 inches of snow on I-5, d'oh) only because I can't control what other idiot drivers are doing. People here don't know how to drive in frozen conditions and it freaks me out.

F
fishtales
CoastalMoe said:
Who manufactures good quality rain gear?

Helly Hansen makes a pretty good coat.