Deschutes trout

M
Modest_Man
Always fun to go hit up the Deschutes for the salmonfly hatch. Here's some of this weekends redsides (and one juvenile steelhead). Seems like all I take are photos of fish. Love the variability in the patterns they show! Fish this year were larger than average. Most were 13", with a few 15-16". We missed way more than we hooked, and four fish are cruising around with my flies lodged in their maxillary (I bought crappy leaders). Weather was great and pressure wasn't too bad on the river either!

P1030964_zpse714ec35.jpg

P1030967_zpsca5e4db5.jpg

P1030974_zps4945fe3b.jpg

P1030991_zps67df5036.jpg

P1030992_zps6627fb7d.jpg

P1030995_zps53dd301c.jpg

P1040003_zpsf1280f25.jpg

P1040004_zpsbbe6d4c6.jpg

P1040005_zps37dfe104.jpg

P1040006_zpsa9ae7027.jpg

P1040008_zpsfcb9aba2.jpg

P1040017_zps1cbbce93.jpg

P1040022_zps1a988f82.jpg

P1040030_zpsc4e923b8.jpg

P1040039_zps25855dfa.jpg

P1040041_zps7c2d20bd.jpg

Reactions: igquick
I
igquick
You must be a really good fly fisherman, because i know some people that tried to do the same thing over the weekend...but they caught huge whitefish besides the smaller trout

Y
Yogidabear
Very nice , I wish I could get back into trout fishing but the steelhead and Mike have ruined me. :)

S
Spydeyrch
Nicely done there man!!! Great pics. One of them (2nd to last pic) looks kind of .... mutated .... until you realize that it is the angle of the camera and the fact that the fish is kind of bending over your hand. Pretty cool!! Were you able to use the cane rod at all? How did it do?

Glad to hear you guys had a great trip and are back home safe.

Take care!

-Spydey

P.S. Shoot me a PM if and when you are available for some last moment local trips before the ....... you know. :D hehehe

O
OnTheDrop
Spydeyrch said:
Nicely done there man!!! Great pics. One of them (2nd to last pic) looks kind of .... mutated .... until you realize that it is the angle of the camera and the fact that the fish is kind of bending over your hand. Pretty cool!! Were you able to use the cane rod at all? How did it do?

Take care!

-Spydey

P.S. Shoot me a PM if and when you are available for some last moment local trips before the ....... you know. :D hehehe

I was thinking the same thing on that fish. Especially after watching that documentary Jaimie posted. Hope not...

Nice report Modest. Love me some salmonfly action!

M
Modest_Man
Spydeyrch said:

Take care!

-Spydey

I used it for nymphing, and ended up not catching a thing nymphing. Probably a combo of me hating to nymph, sucking at it, and having plenty of dry fly action. The wind was pretty rough and I couldn't punch through it with the big dries on the cane rod.

S
Spydeyrch
Modest_Man said:
I used it for nymphing, and ended up not catching a thing nymphing. Probably a combo of me hating to nymph, sucking at it, and having plenty of dry fly action. The wind was pretty rough and I couldn't punch through it with the big dries on the cane rod.

Hahahahaha, you and nymphing man .... like two sworn enemies! hahahaha

Well hopefully you will be able to use the cane rod sometime soon. That would be sweet to see it in action. Keep in touch and let me know about that date. Chao.

-Spydey

H
Herefishyfishy
Nice pics and nice fish! I was there this weekend also and caught tons of fish, only 2 were whitefish! Where were you? We floated Pinetree to Beavertail Saturday and Beavertail to Macks Sunday. We were the only driftboat on the water that we saw. Sorry, all on nymphs!

M
Modest_Man
We did Trout Creek to Sandy Beach. All on dries. Way better than nymphing for sure!

H
Herefishyfishy
OK,OK! I have to admit I tried like hell with no results to get a rise on dries! Caddis and stones but nada! There were tons of both but I am still pretty green. Nice job man!