Deer season 22

FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
Hey all, general buck season opened today, so I figured I’d start a thread to share stories and successes.

For me, I went out this morning, but no luck punching my tag yet. Saw a good looking 3pt blacktail as I was heading in, but it was an hour before legal light. All I saw after that was other hunters. Still, hoping this is the year!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rogerdodger
jamisonace
jamisonace
These two were locking horns today behind my house. The big one is my buddy and lets me get about 5 feet from him. Later in the season I expect some other big bucks that aren't my friends to pass through.

• 20221002_111644.jpg
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
jamisonace said:
These two were locking horns today behind my house. The big one is my buddy and lets me get about 5 feet from him. Later in the season I expect some other big bucks that aren't my friends to pass through.
No kidding?….maybe I’ll bring my rattle bag tonight.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
My brother and I packed up the kids for some road hunting this weekend. It was a little rough in the deer hunting department. We ended up bagging a grouse and chasing around a couple of other small critters, but no deer yet.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I took down a white oak last night and these two were eating on it this morning. This one was a 5x4 and there was a smaller forked horn in there too.

I might regret not taking the big one. He was gorgeous. That rack would look good on my shed.

Pictures suck at 6x.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Heading over to the family home in Fall River tomorrow hunting the Upper Deschutes a lot of fire closures so hopefully find something!

FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
GaryP1958 said:
Heading over to the family home in Fall River tomorrow hunting the Upper Deschutes a lot of fire closures so hopefully find something!
Good luck!

FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
Well, the season is over for me. No luck this year, but I had some good experiences, and didn’t get too wet or cold while doing it.

I spent today out in the whipping wind and rain, but decided to bail once branched started falling around me. No deer is worth getting hurt over.

Yesterday I found some cougar tracks in the snow, and mysterious blood spots amongst deer tracks yesterday. Anyone have an idea what that might be about?

3B69305F-124A-4BA0-BEB6-99B3FF4AD244.jpeg
E6CD0ECD-5718-497A-88EB-AC65E3923E80.jpeg

jamisonace
jamisonace
I started my hunt yesterday by rattling some antlers in my driveway. A forked horn and a nice 3 pt came out but I passed hoping a true giant would show like they do sometimes. Today I came home from fishing around 1:30 and was putting the cover on the driftboat and must have moved this 3 pt out of his bed. As I walked to the house another forked horn was on the hill and as I walked closer to get a look I was about 40 yards from this guy. I didn't have my rifle so I went in the house and grabbed it. The buck had wandered back into the woods for cover and eventually started walking off the property. I rattled my horns a bit and I'll be darned if he didn't turn around and come back to meet his fate. Ended up getting a clear shot from about 50 yards.

Last edited:
  • Love
FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
jamisonace said:
I started my hunt yesterday by rattling some antlers in my driveway. A forked horn and a nice 3 pt came out but I passed hoping a true giant would show like they do sometimes. Today I came home from fishing around 1:30 and was putting the cover on the driftboat and must have moved this 3 pt out of his bed. As I walked to the house another forked horn was on the hill and as I walked closer to get a look I was about 40 yards from this guy. I didn't have my rifle so I went in the house and grabbed it. The buck had wandered back into the woods for cover and eventually started walking off the property. I rattled my horns a but and I'll be darned if he didn't turn around and come back to meet his fate. Ended up getting a clear shot from about 50 yards.
Congrats on the great looking buck! Boy does that sound nice, being able to step out your front door and harvest a deer. #lifegoals

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
My brother ended up filling his buck tag and doe tag. It seemed like I couldn't get out once the weather rolled in. I still have a late season archery tag though. We will see how that pans out.