Cured sand shrimp

plumbertom
plumbertom
I picked up a couple boxes yesterday, one of dyed red or burgundy and another undyed or natural.
I read what I could find and watched a video about rigging them, both claimed that using just the tails was best.
These baits proved to be very delicate. Whether drifting them or floating them, they seldom lasted more than one or two casts.
I finally resorted to binding them with Magic Thread to keep them on the hook.
Still I think I spent more time baiting my hook than actually fishing.
any advice would help.

S
Steelheader4Life
Throw them in the garbage. I tried them once and never again, basically useless if you ask me.

F
FishOn420
Steelheader4Life said:
Throw them in the garbage. I tried them once and never again, basically useless if you ask me.

I have to agree. I bought one thing of cured sand shrimp and used them once and threw them away. They can't stay on very good and they fly off when you cast. I did find a way to keep them on pretty good. If you put the hook through the tail a couple times like your threading the needle then hook them in the head they can stay on pretty well if you got a decent shrimp. Over all I always use worms or herring depending on what I want to fish for and how patient I feel like being that day.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Use crawdad tails looks the same and very tough!

plumbertom
plumbertom
Last season I used uncooked shrimp from the local market seafood dept.
I'd toss them in a quick boil to toughen them some and the soak them for a bit in food color.
But I was interested in giving the sand shrimp a try and was hoping someone had learned something I missed.
I still have about a dozen left so I'll keep using them until gone.
I also have some of them cured Coon Stripe Shrimp. They are a bit tougher.
basically I'm just trying to catch my first salmon.
I'll pretty much give a go at anything I can afford.

H
Hookset
I use a bait threader running my line from tail to head. Attach my hook at the head end and pull it tight back into the head. Attach that leader behind a diver and back troll them. Works great.

S
Steelheader4Life
GaryP1958 said:
Use crawdad tails looks the same and very tough!

Crawdads don't work at all!! ;)

plumbertom
plumbertom
Hookset said:
I use a bait threader running my line from tail to head. Attach my hook at the head end and pull it tight back into the head. Attach that leader behind a diver and back troll them. Works great.
Yeah, Uh, right now I'm kinda shore bound.
I hope to get my boat registered and on the water soon though.

T
Toyracer38
Better off with live ones if you can find them. Still fragile, but not as bad as cured ones.

B
BobberDawg
How did the shrimp work from the market?

B
BobberDawg
If a guy made a trip over and pulled a good amount of sand shrimp is there any way to keep them alive for a while? Has any one tryed ?

C
CoastalMoe
Just visit us at Stockade Market and Tackle in Winchester Bay... we are getting deliveries every other day of live sand shrimp... And boats are getting limits on pink fin...

B
BobberDawg
If I lived closer I sure would, around here there are very few places that have them and they are hit and miss most of the time :sad:

plumbertom
plumbertom
BobberDawg said:
How did the shrimp work from the market?
Fair, I got a few bites from what I'm sure were steelhead given the time of year. Jus hadn't got quite on the ball for them.

C
coyo7e
BobberDawg said:
If a guy made a trip over and pulled a good amount of sand shrimp is there any way to keep them alive for a while? Has any one tryed ?
Yeah, they can survive for a day or three for sure, don't recall how offhand - probably just a bucket of salt water. They're laughably easy to collect so it would probably be worth it if you're not burning extra gas.

T
troutmasta
For steel, you can get salad shrimp for like 3 bucks for 100, that way it doesn't matter how fast you use them. For springers, get live shrimp and add some some "things" to them. Experiment,
start with some shrimp cure and maybe move into some hotter type cures. For springers put the whole thing under a bobber with some eggs and a piece of fish. Thats the rough outline, spice up each part and you got a salmon cocktail.

C_Run
C_Run
BobberDawg said:

If you get your own, keep them in plastic tubs in the refrigerator with a few layers of paper towel in the bottom to soak up the moisture they will give off. Change the towel every day so they don't drown, especially the first day when they give off the most moisture. I've kept them going for about four days before. A shrimp gun is a good investment if you go to the coast once in a while.

0ZnQPE0.jpg

Last edited: