Cullaby Lake review

D
Desert Rat
A few notes on Cullaby Lake (fished 7/8/13). The lake is an excellent spot for a family get together. There are covered structures, manicured lawns, picnic tables, a play structure, and a couple of roped off swimming areas. It was a bit challenging as a bank fisherman because there is limited area that you can get to on foot and there is quite a bit of vegetation in those areas. This was a Monday and there were water skiers pretty close by, and a few people swimming in both swimming areas. In my opinion this is a great place to have a get together that allows you to throw a line in, but I would not target this place if you are fishing from the bank. Boats are able to get to areas that look great to fish in the lake and I imagine the only challenge for them is the water skiers. There were a few salamanders or something that looks like a brownish salamander swimming around. The closest thing to it that I had was a black frog and that was great for sending over the vegetation, but I only had one fish go for it. I saw a huge fish jump in front of me which also attracted one of the boats in the lake. No doubt the fish are in the lake and it really is a beautiful area. There were geese, ducks, an eagle, fish jumping. Maybe a better spot in colder weather because the people would not be in the lake. It was a heck of a lot better than work!

One more thing - The gate to the lake didn't open until 8:00 am so no early fishing.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I've never been there, but you sure make it sound like it should be on my list. Thanks for the review. :D

bass
bass
Great review! I will have to go check it out with the kayak one of these days. Water skiers don't bother me. I am used to fishing in the Willamette in the middle of the summer surrounded by wakeboats, skiers, the Portland Spirit, etc. You just gotta roll with the punches :)

I see your location is New Mexico, are you moving to Oregon?

D
Desert Rat
I have in-laws in Portland and Cannon Beach so I fish out here once or twice a year. I love fishing, but don't get out enough. I just talked my 9 year old nephew into going about an hour ago so I am going to take him out for a few hours today - I will try and hit another local lake and give a report. This trip will be more of a teaching trip, but I am sure it will pay dividends later in life. You guys are great. I'll report back later.

troutdude
troutdude
Terrific and honest review. Thanks for posting. Hope your nephew nabs some fish!

H
Hawk
Desert Rat said:
A few notes on Cullaby Lake (fished 7/8/13). The lake is an excellent spot for a family get together. There are covered structures, manicured lawns, picnic tables, a play structure, and a couple of roped off swimming areas. It was a bit challenging as a bank fisherman because there is limited area that you can get to on foot and there is quite a bit of vegetation in those areas. This was a Monday and there were water skiers pretty close by, and a few people swimming in both swimming areas. In my opinion this is a great place to have a get together that allows you to throw a line in, but I would not target this place if you are fishing from the bank. Boats are able to get to areas that look great to fish in the lake and I imagine the only challenge for them is the water skiers. There were a few salamanders or something that looks like a brownish salamander swimming around. The closest thing to it that I had was a black frog and that was great for sending over the vegetation, but I only had one fish go for it. I saw a huge fish jump in front of me which also attracted one of the boats in the lake. No doubt the fish are in the lake and it really is a beautiful area. There were geese, ducks, an eagle, fish jumping. Maybe a better spot in colder weather because the people would not be in the lake. It was a heck of a lot better than work!

One more thing - The gate to the lake didn't open until 8:00 am so no early fishing.

Those aren't salamanders, they are rough-skinned newts. They emit a poison through the pores of their skin. Wash hands good if you touch them

http://www.californiaherps.com/salamanders/pages/t.granulosa.html

Great Review Bro......Well Done....:D:cool:

T
TimberTodd
Thanks for posting the review. I have made plans a couple of times to fish it but things have always come up.

D
Desert Rat
We had a fun day today. My nephew and I started fishing just west of Cullaby Lake. Right near the golf course there is a place called Sunset Lake. This was a pretty nice place to practice throwing a lure. Not bad for bank fishing and it is open before 8am. In my opinion - if you are fishing Cullaby - start at Sunset Lake at about 6am and then you can move to Cullaby when it opens at 8. Anyway, my nephew practiced for a couple hours and really wanted to try Cullaby. When we arrived at Cullaby there were a few jet skiers at one parking area and a family reunion at the other. We started in the corner by the family reunion and threw in a few times before the reunion finished up. My nephew really wanted to try bass fishing so I got him set up with a lure I had in my tackle box that is a gold and brown minnow with a little rattle to it. It floats when you stop reeling it in so I thought it might avoid some of the salad.To be honest I was hoping he wouldn't lose it because it is one that I use quite a bit and I thought there was little chance of him getting a bass, but what the heck. He caught a bass on about his third throw. Couldn't have been 10 yards out. He's hooked! It was no keeper, but his fish story grows every time I here him tell it. Man that was fun.

Thanks for the info on the newt - I almost did grab one today just so we could check it out- now I know better.

Back to NM soon so it will probably be either Dec or next summer before I get to fish Oregon again. I'll continue to read the posts from home. Thanks again all.