Crab and shrooms

jamisonace
jamisonace
Not much of a report but I thought I'd give it anyway. The Kids and I gave mom a break and hit the coast for some crab and mushrooms. Crabbing was slow and we were lucky to get half a limit. chanterelles weren't ready but we did bring home a bag of oyster mushrooms that we're delicious. I'll be heading back in a couple weeks to work so I'm hoping some chanterelles are ready by then.

So here's a question. My boys are under 14 so they don't need a shellfish license to take crab. The question is: Can I drop three pots for each of them.

I think I can but they need to be helping pull the pots. What say the rest of you?

E
eugene1
At least you got a few crabs.

Can your kids have 3 pots each? I don't see why not, and as I understand it, you can assist them in bringing the traps in. Sometimes I think that more pots just get in the way though, I run 4 out of my boat and that keeps everybody busy enough. They really get in the way when going out and coming in. Something to think about safety-wise.

Best,

jamisonace
jamisonace
I know what you mean Sean. I have 5 pots and 2 rings and they are hanging all over my little boat when I have them all in. It's a pain but I like to let all my pots soak for an hour or two and only pull them once or twice.

I figured it was OK, so I ran 4 pots and 1 ring on Saturday. But, after $500+ in violations over the years because "I figure" stuff is OK. I need to start finding out for sure.

T
the_intimidator03
the best place for a solid answer on that would be the enforcers themselves... state patrol, followed by ODFW. Sorry I cannot provide an accurate answer

jamisonace
jamisonace
I seem to learn pretty well from the "enforcers". It's hard to forget after a few hundred dollars in fines get paid.

the_intimidator03 said:
the best place for a solid answer on that would be the enforcers themselves... state patrol, followed by ODFW. Sorry I cannot provide an accurate answer