Complete newbie but with adventuresome spirit!! (help)

C
carriek
OK I have poked around the site a bit and haven't found an answer to my question...

I'm taking my two little boys (7 and 11 yrs) camping this weekend, down on Clackamas River, and reading the park description (which included some gushing accounts of the plentiful fish in the river) I thought "well heck I love to eat fresh fish, we should catch some." Um, except I never've gone fishing in my life.

The boys have fishing rods, but we'll need bait and tackle, I suppose. And a license? Sounds like there are plenty of trout, that's fine with me. We'll be about 15 miles SE of Estacada at a little campground there.

Of course we'd also like to cook and eat whatever we catch, I think I can clean the fish OK, doesn't seem too hard--right?

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide. I am hoping my boys will think I'm The Most Awesome Mom Ever.

T
Toyracer38
Youth Under 14 Angling License is free. If your planning on fishing for Salmon or Steelhead they will also need Harvest Tags. If they will be fishing for Trout, no tags are needed. If you plan on fishing yourself, you will also have to get an Angling License. This site has the regulations and license fees. http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/licenses_regs/ A trip to a local sporting goods store would probably be the most help for you. They can tell you what you need and probably show you how to setup for whatever you plan on fishing for. Hope you and the kids have a great time. Good luck!

C
ChezJfrey
A couple of my thoughts...

You will need to figure out how to tell the difference between a wild rainbow trout (non-clipped) and other trout as wild rainbows can't be kept.

I also believe that up that high on the Clackamas, bait (including nightcrawlers, powerbait, rubber-type worms, etc.) is not allowed, so spinners, spoons, flies, jigs, crankbait/plugs will need to be used.

As for fish cleaning, a search on youtube will get you started.

Good luck and have fun!

bass
bass
Supporting what Toyracer38 and ChezJfrey have stated. The boys can fish for free, but without a license you legally are not supposed to touch their rods while they are fishing - helping is considered fishing. I am not sure if the kids need to get their Youth Under 14 Angling Licenses (which are free) or not. I always get them for my kids (8 and 13) since I get them harvest tags. I would definitely check at a sporting goods store that is also a licensing agent.

Cleaning the fish is pretty easy, as stated above you should be able to find a youtube video for cleaning trout. Make sure you watch one for trout and not a fish that you would fillet since the cleaning process for trout is different (and easier).

Also, don't stress too much about the fishing and remember that just taking them camping already puts you in the running for Most Awesome Mom Ever :)

Good luck!

B
BobbiDollPDX
Single mom here, 2 boys as well, mine are grown and out of their own now though. Ditto to checking the current regulations before you fish. Also, keep a close eye on the kids, the Clackamas claims many victims each year. I hate to be a downer, but I would hate even more to read about something bad happening.

Have fun, be safe and keep taking those boys fishing, you might fall in love with it too.

troutdude
troutdude
Kudos to you Bobbi, for the heads up: that river is cold and fast. None of us wants to read about an ill-fated camp out; so please do be safe.

If you can only use lures there now, try some Mepps Aglia spinners, or some Blue Fox spinners. I'd go with size 2 or 3.

If you can legally bait fish, just toss in a worm, with a smallish split shot or two about 20" above the hook. Or, put on one or two Pautzke's Ball of Fire salmon eggs, with split shot and let it drift along.

Good luck, and welcome to OFF!

C
cowboysfan
I don't know the clack at all so i will leave the suggestions to others ,but i had to jump in and say good on you for takin the boys. Fish or not you will be an awesome mom for the taking them!