Coloring & meat?

T
troutslayer48
I have yet to catch a steel, however I was wondering...I keep reading references to the color of fish and summer vs winter, my question is what is the difference amongst the fish when coloring is concerned. also is there an etiquette towards such differences such as releasing the fish...oh and is there a difference in quality of meat?

R
RunWithSasquatch
  • The darker the fish is on the out side, the more pale the meat is on the inside.
  • The more pale the meat is on the inside, the mushier the meat, the worse the nutritional value, the worse the taste.
  • Most people would say to smoke a dark fish, to make it edible: Fact- If one starts with poor quality meat, one ends with pour quality meat, regardless of preparation.
  • Summer fish have retained more fat than winter fish while in salt, making a higher grade of meat. (Some people prefer the dryer winter over the summer, personal preference)

B
Big Hairy Dawg
So enjoy the catching of....but release the dark!

B
bran_man
Of course these are just in general. Dark fish can every once in a while still have pretty good meat and vice versa for the brighter fish as well. This is of course just every once in a while. In the end its up to you whether you want to tag it. It might just end up being a waste of a tag spot though.... Cause the more pale/ whiter meat just doesn't taste very good at all no matter how its prepared.

brandon4455
brandon4455
summers sit in the river and eat like trout for months before spawning.. they stay bright wayy longer.. winters come into the freshwater ready to spawn..they color up fast. i have not tagged a steelhead but from what i have seen (family and friends fish etc) summers will cut good even with a rosy cheek and a red stripe down the side.

F
fishinshawn
brandon4455 said:
summers sit in the river and eat like trout for months before spawning.. they stay bright wayy longer.. winters come into the freshwater ready to spawn..they color up fast. i have not tagged a steelhead but from what i have seen (family and friends fish etc) summers will cut good even with a rosy cheek and a red stripe down the side.

I'd also add that bucks will still have good meat even with some color, but hens with color usually have white meat. The hens use up much more of their fat stores growing the eggs.

brandon4455
brandon4455
fishinshawn said:
I'd also add that bucks will still have good meat even with some color, but hens with color usually have white meat. The hens use up much more of their fat stores growing the eggs.

thanks for adding that,flew right over my head.. lol

T
troutslayer48
Excellent replies, Thanks a bunch!