Coloring line?

D
damonspreng
When using flossing line do you cooler the first 5 10 15 feet of your line black? I have green floating line and use around a 9 foot leader plus tippet. Just wondering if my line could be spooking fish?

S
Spydeyrch
damonspreng said:
When using flossing line do you cooler the first 5 10 15 feet of your line black? I have green floating line and use around a 9 foot leader plus tippet. Just wondering if my line could be spooking fish?

Flossing line? You aren't flossing are you? :naughty: :shock: I hope it is just a typo and you really meant to say floating line. :pray:

-Spydey

D
damonspreng
Yes thanks it is a typo I am not using floss to fish...floating line is the intended wording. Anyways might just be me being over cautious and I like the viability but was wondering everyone elses opinions.

S
Spydeyrch
damonspreng said:
Yes thanks it is a typo I am not using floss to fish...floating line is the intended wording.....

Phew!!!:clap: Glad to hear it!! :D

As for my line, I have yellow line. I don't think that color really plays a big difference in it. It is mainly for you to see where your line is at.

the other thing is, if your casting is placing your fly line over the fish, you are going to spook it and it is also an indication that you care casting to far. You would typically have 7 - 12 feet of leader & tippet from the end of your fly line to your fly, which should be plenty of length to get the fly close enough to the fish without casting directly on top of him. Does that make sense?

Also, something I would recommend, try throwing some slack line casts, like a S cast, a curve cast, a pile cast/parachute cast, or the tuck cast. Depending on the situation, you could use any one of these casts to present your fly in the best possible way. Remember it is all about presentation, presentation, presentation!!! :dance:

Take care and good luck!!

-Spydey

P.S. Oh, and no, I don't color my line black. Why would you choose black to color it? I would think that a long, heavy dark colored object falling on the fish would spook it even more than a regular green, orange, red, or yellow line. Try doing a lighter cast so that the line falls softer to the water.

S
Spydeyrch
damonspreng said:
......I am not using floss to fish...

Oh, and I wasn't referring to dental floss. I was referring to a very unethical (in my book) way to catch fish. Just to clarify.

-Spydey

D
damonspreng
Well i'm fairly new to fly fishing and i'm not perfect at casting yet. Also don't know many of the casts that were listed. I'm learning and hope to know what casts to use in what situations. this forum has helped a lot because I don't know anyone who fly fishes to help. Need to find some one on one time...

S
Spydeyrch
damonspreng said:
Well i'm fairly new to fly fishing and i'm not perfect at casting yet. Also don't know many of the casts that were listed. I'm learning and hope to know what casts to use in what situations. this forum has helped a lot because I don't know anyone who fly fishes to help. Need to find some one on one time...

Well, welcome to fly fishing!! Welcome to the light side of the fly!!! :lol:

If I may point out some good sources of info that have helped me in my continual journey to learn this crazy zen of fly fishing.

Check out the Orivs Fly Fishing Guide Podcast. I love listening to it!! Tons, and I mean, TONS of information!!!

Also check out the Orvis Fly Fishing School of Leaning. Especially watch all of the video lessons!! GREAT STUFF.

Orvis Fly Fishing School of Leaning

Read as many books as you can, check out as many videos on you tube as you can, ask as many questions on here as you can. Be willing to make mistakes (lots of them!!!) and practice, practice, practice!!!

I see you live in Gaston, try to get up to Hagg quite a bit and practice.

Good luck!! :)

-Spydey

P.S. Also try to get to some of the get togethers that we hold. You will meet some great people, and learn a ton!!!

Last edited: