Cold water and winter fishing

D
DYJ
I've fished for Summer steel for several years now and have become somewhat sucessfull for the local rivers we have here. Last summer I tagged 13 fish, my best year. One thing that I have learned is how much the water temp effects the fishing. So, I've always payed attention to water temp.

Now I've fished winter steel for a year and never been real successful. I've landed one native in 4 trips. I figured that a big part of it was the fact that my fishing time is so much less in the winter. I get out 1 day a weekend, so at best 4 times a month compared to 4 times a week in the summer. Anyways, my big question is... what is the ideal water temps for Winter Steel and if it gets too cold is it not even worth heading out?

Last edited:
Reactions: eggs
E
eggs
in the winter..

water warms with rain, warmer water has more oxygen, fish get more active, will find them in the middle of runs and seems, they are on the move. rain usually means OFF color water and the fish are more confident.

lack of rain makes for really cold water, colder water has less oxygen, the fish glue to the bottom not using much energy, usually found in tailouts where hydrolics are in their favor or along cliffs/rocks/depressions on the river bottom where they can rest/hold in slower water but can with ease move into faster water to force more oxygen through the gills without having to move as much. colder water is usually clearer water and they spook.

thats my take and opinion.

you can get fish in any temp if the fish are in the river, usually the colder the harder you have to work. ideal temps IMO are 40-50 degrees for winters.

Last edited:
Reactions: steelhead_slayer
J
jawjacker
I agree with what eggs said about water conditions and temp. I'd have to say when the water temp dips into the 36 deg. range it is darn tuff and not fun to fish because not only are you frozen stiff but so are the fish. They become so lethargic that even if you get them to bite the fight is very poor. Most the fish I catch in the winter time, especially when the water is low and cold are located some where in a deep pool. Where in the summer time I typically find fish holding in shallow runs and riffles with a broken surface.

H
hunt-fish-trap
if there is ice on the windshield in the morning, go back to bed. Waco was out at 8am or sooner the other day and didn't get into them till 11.

H
halibuthitman
if the water is much below 38 then bait or scent is your best bet, as water temps move above 40 flash like spoons and spinners start to produce action, low clear conditions demand small and dark, or dark reds, warmer water that is colored its time to clown around with the pinks, greens, yellows, blues... I have my best luck in winter with black or purple shades and black mixed, but sometimes on really sunny clear water days I will go big with the craziest brightest crap I have, and often this produces my biggest fish.. you never quite know what the fish want, steelhead are a funny fish in the aspect that the fishing will turn on for no apparent reason and be crazy good and then turn off... in winter time on the water equates to fish... be there for the bite. its important to know your rivers little quirks as well, big creek will always turn on no matter where you are on it the last two hours coming into the top of the tide... the kilches will almost always turn on for the first hour after any measurable amount of rain.. the necanicum always fishes best for me when the sun is blazing brite.. the sandy seems to give up the best in the first 45 minutes of light... I don't know if these things are really true, but ive come to expect them and use the info as tools-

F
fishferfun2
DYJ said:
I've fished for Summer steel for several years now and have become somewhat sucessfull for the local rivers we have here. Last summer I tagged 13 fish, my best year. One thing that I have learned is how much the water temp effects the fishing. So, I've always payed attention to water temp.

Now I've fished winter steel for a year and never been real successful. I've landed one native in 4 trips. I figured that a big part of it was the fact that my fishing time is so much less in the winter. I get out 1 day a weekend, so at best 4 times a month compared to 4 times a week in the summer. Anyways, my big question is... what is the ideal water temps for Winter Steel and if it gets too cold is it not even worth heading out?

Steelhead bite all the time. One of the key things that ppl seem to forget is the "winter" in the name preceeding steelhead. I have found them nvr lathargic and cold clear water just means different presentations and diffferent holding water. Often temperature change has greater effect then cold water.

J
jd15
in cold whether free float some steelhead eggs or salmon eggs with a spin glow, or use a black with orang spotted corky with peace yarn or even a glow in the dark corkie with pink yarn, this tactices have always worked for me.