coho on a cleo...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
headed out today in the rain with 2 goals: first adult coho for my wife and one on a spoon for me.

started casting, black bell spinner with green tape on blade for my wife, I went with an old 'real' ;) 2/5 cleo with that chart. /red spots pattern. 5 minutes in and I hear "fish on" and today it is the real deal for my wife, drag is good, fish is not small, I am on the net, good run, tail dance, some exciting stuff near the boat, 1 missed netting, reset, then clean net and on board, 28" 10# shiny! one and done for her!

I keep casting and get a energetic 19" fat Jack on the black spinner, back to the Cleo for my adult coho and maybe 15min. of working the water I get a hard hit and fish on but damn if it isn't another Jack that I need to release...hooked very solid so I hand off the pole and get my leatherman on the hook with fish in the water and get it off without any real damage. started raining harder and with 2 fish on board, another 30min of casting was it...

so I didn't get an adult coho on a spoon yet but my wife has ink on her tag and she is ready to go back tomorrow...

M
mikeredding
WOW!! You guys are on fire. Congrats on a couple of firsts. I have never got one on a spoon so that was cool to read.

E
eugene1
Mike you stole my words...

You guys are on fire!!!

Nice!

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
well done Congrats!!!!

O
OnTheDrop
Nicely done! All these lake reports you guys are giving are making me want to give it a shot sometime and pull away from my rivers.. Cast/ Retrieve in some stillwaters for salmon has a unique appeal to me. Again, way to set some goals and get after 'em!

E
eugene1
mikeredding said:
Priceless!

Yep, got to make that sweet pic BIG... I kinda skipped the pic at work today.

where are you guys staying out there this weekend Mike? Camping or?

M
mikeredding
We are staying in one of the cabins at Fish Mill Lodge just south of the Marina

E
eugene1
Nice, that'll be good access for you! Good luck, but I hope you and Roger save some for the rest of us! I'll try to hit it a bit this weekend as well.

Later,

J
jabs67
Well done!!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

troutdude
troutdude
Nicely done! Great pic, and the smiles tell a great story!

I have several "real" (original) Little Cleo's. They are my "go to" lures. I've gotten 5 species with 'em. But, no salmon yet (repeat: yet...lol). That will coming soon, I hope.

Again, great report.

bass
bass
Great report. Looks like a ton of happiness in that pic!

T
troutmasta
I got a coho on a cleo today. I used a 1/3 oz. Miss Cleo copper and red . got a jack and a hen. i was jsut letting it throb on the end barley reeling holding it against the current.

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
fish your spoons very actively, eradic.. reel fast then slow, open your bail and drop it,, mooch it then reel.. silvers hit on the fall most of the time, they do not like to chase steady presentations, thats why folks get so many follows but no hook-ups, let the spoon fall... a lot- good luck

H
halibuthitman
and use spoons with blue and silver, maybe some black... but blue is where its at-

M
mikeredding
halibuthitman said:
they do not like to chase steady presentations
I disagree on this part. This may be true in rivers but 1000's of coho are caught trolling in the ocean, bays and even lakes.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
halibuthitman said:
fish your spoons very actively, eradic.. reel fast then slow, open your bail and drop it,, mooch it then reel.. silvers hit on the fall most of the time, they do not like to chase steady presentations, thats why folks get so many follows but no hook-ups, let the spoon fall... a lot- good luck

great tips- I use the "pause and drop" often but probably not enough and here is a good data point: at least one of the fish that my wife caught, she remembers a delay getting the bail closed so the spinner was falling for an extra second or two, and the big fish hit the instant she got tension on the line (weed floor just 3 feet down so not much room for error)...