@ Coastaldweller..Look!

C_Run
C_Run
Hey, Coastaldweller. It took me over a year but I finally got to take your advice and look at the result!

FwqLMHf.jpg

I didn't go to your spot because it was too rough but I did go nearby. I had several frozen herring left over from salmon fishing and put one on a mooching rig under a float, set the bobber stop at 15 feet and chucked it out towards the kelp. It took about five minutes to get this 24" ling. I'm a believer now. Thanks, man. He coughed up a 6" long octopus that I saved for bait. I fished about another hour and had one more bobber down that ended up with me stuck to the rocks when I tried to set the hook. Ended up loosing my hooks and I forgot to bring an extra rig so ended up catching a few greenling on bait to round out the day.

Prequel to above post re. lingcod.

I spent about six hours starting at the crack of dawn fishing for that other species.

fbdjCIx.jpg

I was 0 for 1 using p/w under a float. I got broke off due to either abraded line or a bad knot during the first half hour. Then spent the rest of the day beating myself up over the bonehead error. The lingcod came at the end of a nine hour day so it was all good in the end. I guess the message is to not quit.

Reactions: Coastaldweller
jamisonace
jamisonace
Nice ling Chris. We're you in your kayak?

S
Scott M
Mmmmmm...Lingcod! Nice fish!!

P
plumb2fish
I'd much rather eat ling.....only I would rather fish for steelhead....quite the quandary to have...lol
Great pics and good job on dinner.

C_Run
C_Run
jamisonace said:
Nice ling Chris. We're you in your kayak?

Nope. I am not seaworthy yet but hope to be in the future. I think I'll be doing more bobber fishing in the ocean from now on. Usually the lings I get are all too small.

C
Coastaldweller
Well done! The ocean is going to be a mess for a while now. I'm glad you made it out there and found a ling! This time of year there will be a higher population of lings closer to the shore due to spawning. It's a great time to get out when the weather and ocean align!