Clackamas North Fork?

F
frontierhistorian
Anyone have experience (fly) fishing here? I'm planning to explore some of the tributaries and streams for a bit more remote spots (but driveable) and wild trout. Looks like I can get to the north fork at confluence with Whiskey Creek. Just don't know if it's ridiculously small water for fishing at that point. Other streams to recommend? I'm in Newberg and wondering about western slope Cascades water less than two hours from me.

S
SnailEye
I’ve been looking at that area too and wondering the same thing. I would bet you can find some small fish in there but who knows. Lately I’ve been fishing smaller and smaller streams and have be surprised where I can find fish. Just need to be willing to take a gamble and give things a shot. The less info I can find online, the more curious I get.

Reactions: mhgwest and frontierhistorian
M
mattsavage
Steep and brushy from the whiskey creek crossing down to the north fork, 400'+ vertical maybe, and a mile hike on an abandoned road? I've considered hiking up from the lake, taking a kayak over to where it dumps in. but i never do, considering there's a half dozen more accessible tributaries less than 30 minutes up the road that the catch and keep crowd avoid. 😂
Honestly, from newberg, i'd rather be heading west. so much good cutthroat water out there, why mess with the clack smolt? seems like all thats left out there these days, unless you want to nymph for whitefish, which are great smokers and a fun fight in that heavy water they occupy.

Last edited:
F
frontierhistorian
I parked on NF 4610 right near the bridge across the North Fork. Level hiking -- an a trail -- for a few hundred yards downstream. Some nice holes here and there. Got as far as below Boyd Creek and turned back due to time; topographically, I could have gone further.

But, yeah, little guys. Of course, at my ability level, I catch the same kind of stuff in the coastal streams . . .

1688746773137.png

S
SnailEye
Good to hear you got in there. I suspect down stream you will find more water and some nice holes that hold better fish. The only problem is access. Most people are not willing to bush whack that much. I too have considered the kayak option up to the mouth. I suspect you would be alone once you're off the revisor.

F
frontierhistorian
SnailEye said:
Good to hear you got in there. I suspect down stream you will find more water and some nice holes that hold better fish. The only problem is access. Most people are not willing to bush whack that much. I too have considered the kayak option up to the mouth. I suspect you would be alone once you're off the revisor.
Yes, I didn't get below Whiskey Creek, but assuming I could get that far, I expect better water and bigger fish. Remnants of a road on the stretch I was on, but the flat area north/northwest of the stream was running out pretty quick. Hope to go back, if for no other reason just to see how far I can get. Next time I think I'll hike as far as I can and fish back up.

O
olshiftybiscuits
In the Clackamas system, bushwhacking gets you nowhere. The higher you fish, the smaller the fish and fish counts will be. The main stem above north fork reservoir is a great trout stream, and the lower river gets completely ignored for trout despite holding some tanks. The oak grove fork and the Collawash are the worthwhile tribs. Both are well traveled but the Oak Grove Fork is too technical for most anglers so it stays very high in quality. Four species in less than 10 miles of water between Timothy and Harriet. Check it out, and bring your A game.