Choosing a new reel for the 8wt

brandon4455
brandon4455
hoping to get a new reel for my 8wt setup that i can use in freshwater for salmon and steelhead,on a budget so my options are limited But i think there are some decent choices out there in my price range. if anyone has any experience with these reels or has suggestions it is much appreciated! im looking for a reel that has a smooth drag and wont stick when a fish starts and stops a run,a reel that will gain line quick and can take a beating (hitting rocks when i slip and fall etc)

a few im looking at.

pflueger medalist

okuma slv

okuma sierra

cortland cdm

Cabela's prestige plus

Cabela's wind river

B
Bkerbs
Check out Ross reels as well.

brandon4455
brandon4455
ross is my favorite brand but not in my budget right now.

S
Spydeyrch
What is your budget, if I may ask? That will give is a better idea of how to help you. :D

If you can afford it, I would say go with the Echo Ion. I think it is $100 ($99) but is good quality, lifetime warranty, really good drag system (completely encased), will take a beating, and large arbor for quick retrieve. Maybe it would be better to save up for that reel then get a cheaper one? :think: Just a thought.

-Spydey

brandon4455
brandon4455
budget is around 50 bucks probably

jamisonace
jamisonace
I have an Okuma Sierra on my 6wt and I like it. It's not the same quality as my Pfleuger Trion or my Lamson reels but it fights big fish just fine.

If you can find the Trion for a good deal, I highly recommend it.

brandon4455 said:
budget is around 50 bucks probably

brandon4455
brandon4455
ive fished with the trion reels before, one of my favs. do you think i could find one used that cheap though??? thanks for the help!

B
Bkerbs
Flyfishusa.com, I think they have a Ross fly start with rio mainstream floating line for $80. It's a good deal if your ballin on a budget. Check the Washington fly fishing classifieds. Lots of people selling gear.

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks for the tip!

jamisonace
jamisonace
I just bought one for $66. I'll keep my eyes open for one and drop
I see something.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Bi Mart had the Okuma SLV 7/8 for $49 a few days ago.

brandon4455
brandon4455
my buddy has a slv for trout and its a nice reel.might try to find one when august rolls around! not 100% sure though

J
john montana
I am a fan of Ross reels, but would caution against the fly start for a larger rod outfit. I assume an 8 wt would be for bigger fish. Here is a picture of my buddies fly start after 3 days of carping.

06676fa7.jpg

It simply isn't made for big, drag busting fish like carp. The drag got destroyed and the reel was n full on free spool mode and basically useless.

This is NOT a knock on Ross. Frankly, they were awesome. Wendy called them when the trip was over and they told him flat out that the fly start was meant for trout, not carp (or steelhead etc). They actually sent him a new reel, the next step up from the fly start and even put a line on it for him. Best customer service I have seen in a long while. Fantastic company with great products, but for an 8 wt I would go with a heavier reel personally. Good luck man!

brandon4455
brandon4455
yeah its for steelhead and salmon mainly and maybe carp.... thats a scary pic LOL!