Chinook on flies

G
grampa ron
I went with a friend on the Siuslaw Wed. He was using a bait casting setup with his home made flies. I lost track of how many hookups he had. It's clear to me, you don't need bait to catch Chinook.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
grampa ron said:
I went with a friend on the Siuslaw Wed. He was using a bait casting setup with his home made flies. I lost track of how many hookups he had. It's clear to me, you don't need bait to catch Chinook.

cool, what part of the river? up in the flowing/fresh water? any pictures of the flies? :D

G
grampa ron
It was up the river. The fly is secrete.

M
Mutiny
I'm gonna guess egg fly.....

G
grampa ron
Sorry, it looked nothing like eggs

M
Mutiny
Haha, I'll let the secret be then.

M
mlw
That's cool, I have been tempted to try that too, have brought flies along...
I would try a couple classics:
Michael

• childers-2.jpg
  • Thunder_Lightning_salmon_fly-sm.jpg
H
halibuthitman
Mole leeches in chartruse, or flashy dali lamas are great, nooks will hit big intruders way better than steel will.. Nooks also looooooove black stoneflies and black wool headed sculpins, and of course any form of muddler minnow-

O
OnTheDrop
My buds whack on 'em on comets & clousers .. Saw both those flies in action last week.

P
plumb2fish
Baitcasting setup with a fly? Was he just allowing the current to take the fly downstream, or was he using some weight/leader and casting the fly into holding water?

G
grampa ron
He was using it just like a corky.

F
fishingduck
Hey grampa ron, I just dont' get it. I don't post often but look at the site daily and just don't get it. You submit a post about a friend catching salmon on the slaw with a fly but you want to keep the fly pattern a secret. What's the motivation for the post? Why do fisher-people love to talk about all the fish they catch but don't want anyone else to catch fish?

Just think about it for a moment why would anyone want to read a post that basically says "look how smart I am and dumb you are" "I know how to catch fish and you don't". Who wants to visit that post?

This post is not unique. I meet fisher-people all the time who want me to listen to their endless stories about catching fish but refuse to share where or how they caught them.

I like this forum and have learned how to improve my fishing exponentially from it. I thank all of you who have shared your stories, techniques, locations and gear, so before many of you respond just take a breath, count to ten and think about it.

Reactions: NWDiscer
H
halibuthitman
Im pretty sure he was fishing a bead under a float, just about as deadly as real bait-

Admin
Admin
fishingduck said:
I like this forum and have learned how to improve my fishing exponentially from it. I thank all of you who have shared your stories, techniques, locations and gear, so before many of you respond just take a breath, count to ten and think about it.

Hey fishingduck, I glad to hear that you like this forum and find it useful.

fishingduck said:
"look how smart I am and dumb you are"

grampa ron didn't say that, that's how you read his post. Here at OFF it's OK to share as much details as you want & it's NOT OK to criticize an Author for that.