cheap camping food

brandon4455
brandon4455
so planning on going camping before the end of the month but im sorta on a budget and paying for gas,food and flies etc. I need to find a way to save money on food but have something to cook for dinner both nights of the trip and for breakfast the second day. does anyone have any cheap food suggestions?? i was thinking of just buyin canned food like chili or ravioli but not sure.

any help is much appreciated!!!

T
Throbbit _Shane
I bring stuff u dont need to refrigerate camping. Potatoes are good fry them with some onions, add ketch up and hot sauce. Chili is also good, fry onions first then add ketch up and hot sauce when its done cooking. Chunky soup, Raviolis, bananas, oranges, mango's, granola, jerky is all good stuff to bring!

Reactions: wozniasm
O
OnTheFly
beer.

Reactions: eggs
F
FlyBum
OnTheFly said:

I though you liked the ding-dongs and ho-ho's :shock:

Fruit is a good cheap breakfast or you can hard boil some eggs, granola and yogurt. For din-din hotdogs or brats are easy or have your girlfriend make you something like a pasta that you can pack into a Tupperware and just heat-n-eat or eat cold. Be creative but don't forget the carbs and protein and to have some fluids (other than beer) dehydration can be some serious stuff in the heat of summer.

W
wozniasm
PB&J's, balogna sandwiches, hot dogs, burgers are always good if you don't want to go with canned foods which I always have spares just in case the raccoons get into my supplies.
Fried taters is always a fill-me-up.
You may consider the discounted steaks lets say at Albertson's where they put those out around 9:30 in the morning when the butcher gets in.

As a backup:
- Work on your 'pity' look and scavenge OFF of fellow campers
- A sign indicating you'll "fish for food"

R
RunWithSasquatch
Beer + vitamins *

Guy could survive for a long time.

Semi serious note, when ever my buddies and I do some car camping on a fishing or hunting trip thats gonna stay cheap and easy, one thing we found and love is Safeway has spray cans of pancake batter for like 2 bucks or something.... easy and cheap breakfast. Throw in a few eggs and you're a happy camper.

batter-blaster.jpg

C
cowboysfan
Fish! They will be free if you catch them, If not then you starve and that is punishment for being outsmarted by the salmonoid!

L
lilsalmon
Dave says a pizza lunchable and Dew........I would go with the poptarts and sub from Winco....cheap and good. Where ya going?

F
fixyourdns
Pancakes
Potatoes throw in a couple eggs
Grab a bucket of KFC always good cold
best part is Fish will go with both the pancakes and fried potatoes

S
Spydeyrch
Throbbit _Shane said:
..... bananas .....

Say WHAT!!! :shock:

Are you trying to make it so that Brandon doesn't catch anything!!??? :naughty: hahahah :lol:

Just kidding. :D

Those are some great suggestions!!

flybum said:
..... you can hard boil some eggs .....

Yumm, I love hard boiled eggs!! Great stuff. Brandon actually had his first hard boiled egg ever when we hit a local stream the 28th of April this year. :D I would go with the HBE, easy to make, light to carry, great snack, full of energy. :clap:

Brandon, if you can, oatmeal is a great breakfast. Don't get the instant oatmeal, too expensive. Get the plain oats. They are cheap and you an make them up in like 2 minutes!! Plus you can add fruit, cinnamon, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla flavoring, chunks of chocolate (i.e. Hersey's Bar) etc. to it and great stuff!!

Here is what I would bring, assuming you are packing/cooking for yourself only:

Breakfast #1 - Oatmeal, fruit, HBE, juice/milk.

Breakfast #2 - Eggs (scrambled, sunny side up, poached, etc), bacon, toast, juice/milk.

Lunch #1 - PB & J, chips, fruit, milk.

Lunch #2 - Triscut crackers / wheat thin crackers, cheese, an apple, water. If you ever have the opportunity to do this, take a piece of cheddar cheese, put it on the Triscut cracker, put it in your mouth, then take a bite of a nice juicy ripe sweet apple. HEAVEN IN YOUR MOUTH MAN!!! :clap:

Diner #1 - Hobo diner (i.e. Tin foil diner), water. Easy to make, make it how you want, cheap to make. Tastes wonderful!!!

Diner #2 - Soup, bread with butter, milk.

Snacks - Chocolate bars, Cliff bars, HBE, fruit, crackers, etc.

And take into account Brandon, that even though you practice C&R, it is completely lawful and accepted to keep your catch for the intent of eating it. Nothing tastes better than eating your own fish that you caught man. :D No money need to do so and a great food source!!

Hopefully you have a great time!! :)

-Spydey

P.S. Where are you going and when? :think:

C
Combat Chuck
Potatoes! They are about $2 for 10lbs.
breakfast- diced potatoes in a little oil with eggs
lunch- diced or steak fry cut potatoes in a little oil with chilli on top
dinner- baked potato and fish

brandon4455
brandon4455
cowboysfan said:
Fish! They will be free if you catch them, If not then you starve and that is punishment for being outsmarted by the salmonoid!

nice try but i wouldnt eat a wild fish if someone paid me.

brandon4455
brandon4455
lilsalmon said:
Dave says a pizza lunchable and Dew........I would go with the poptarts and sub from Winco....cheap and good. Where ya going?
thinking about going where we went for my bday last year. you and dave are welcome to join if you want :D

brandon4455
brandon4455
Spydeyrch said:
Say WHAT!!! :shock:

Are you trying to make it so that Brandon doesn't catch anything!!??? :naughty: hahahah :lol:

Just kidding. :D

Those are some great suggestions!!

Yumm, I love hard boiled eggs!! Great stuff. Brandon actually had his first hard boiled egg ever when we hit a local stream the 28th of April this year. :D I would go with the HBE, easy to make, light to carry, great snack, full of energy. :clap:

Brandon, if you can, oatmeal is a great breakfast. Don't get the instant oatmeal, too expensive. Get the plain oats. They are cheap and you an make them up in like 2 minutes!! Plus you can add fruit, cinnamon, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla flavoring, chunks of chocolate (i.e. Hersey's Bar) etc. to it and great stuff!!

Here is what I would bring, assuming you are packing/cooking for yourself only:

Breakfast #1 - Oatmeal, fruit, HBE, juice/milk.

Breakfast #2 - Eggs (scrambled, sunny side up, poached, etc), bacon, toast, juice/milk.

Lunch #1 - PB & J, chips, fruit, milk.

Lunch #2 - Triscut crackers / wheat thin crackers, cheese, an apple, water. If you ever have the opportunity to do this, take a piece of cheddar cheese, put it on the Triscut cracker, put it in your mouth, then take a bite of a nice juicy ripe sweet apple. HEAVEN IN YOUR MOUTH MAN!!! :clap:

Diner #1 - Hobo diner (i.e. Tin foil diner), water. Easy to make, make it how you want, cheap to make. Tastes wonderful!!!

Diner #2 - Soup, bread with butter, milk.

Snacks - Chocolate bars, Cliff bars, HBE, fruit, crackers, etc.

And take into account Brandon, that even though you practice C&R, it is completely lawful and accepted to keep your catch for the intent of eating it. Nothing tastes better than eating your own fish that you caught man. :D No money need to do so and a great food source!!

Hopefully you have a great time!! :)

-Spydey

P.S. Where are you going and when? :think:

thats quite a list!! thanks for that sydey and everyone else who responded.

byt he way, im thinking of going around the end of this month if not then the beginning of next month same place we went for my 17th bday

S
Spydeyrch
Nice, I will have to see if I can go. You planning on a Friday, Saturday, Sunday thing like last year?

Yes, the list is a good list and not too $$$. :D

-Spydey

brandon4455
brandon4455
yup going for the weekend hopefully

W
wozniasm
HOBO Beans Recipe
1/2 lb. hamburger
1/2 lb. bacon
1 med. onion
1 c. ketchup
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. vinegar
1 (16 oz.) pork and beans
1 (16 oz.) can kidney beans, drained
1 (16 oz.) can butter beans
1 (16 oz.) can white beans, drained

Brown together hamburger, bacon, and onion. Drain excess grease. Mix with the above mixture of ketchup, brown sugar, white sugar, and vinegar. Add the 4 cans of beans and mix well. Place in 3-quart baking dish. Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

Instead of baking them, I cook them in a covered pot for about 45 minutes at a simmer.
You can make this before you go, slap it in a ziplock in your cooler and reheat.
Use less ground beef and/or omit the bacon to make it more economical.

It's a bit sweet but you can use less sugar to start OFF and add as necessary.

T
Throbbit _Shane
brandon4455 said:
nice try but i wouldnt eat a wild fish if someone paid me.

Camping is a great time to eat your catch!

I remember you ate some wild smoked fish i caught one time... :D