Carp on the fly presentation

J
john montana
Just a heads up...I'll be at the Orvis store in Bridgeport Village on Saturday at 1100 talking carp. I'll bring a bunch of flies, hundreds of pictures, and hope to have a good turnout with lots of questions. Come say hello if you are in the area!

M
Modest_Man
john montana said:
Just a heads up...I'll be at the Orvis store in Bridgeport Village on Saturday at 1100 talking carp. I'll bring a bunch of flies, hundreds of pictures, and hope to have a good turnout with lots of questions. Come say hello if you are in the area!

Totally would but I've got to work.

S
Spydeyrch
Want to go but I have a float to go on. First one and first time on the McKenzie. Good luck man! :)

-Spydey

I
igquick
Hey john, do you ever come across hundreds of sunning carp but none of them will take your bait?

J
john montana
All the time. One of my rules that I will talk about tomorrow is "To catch more carp, cast at less." It might not apply with bait as much, but on a fly you need to find one fish that is eating or might eat, stalk that fish, and present the fly into that fish'a feeding area (usually a few inches). Without scent or bait, you have to trigger a visual response on a fish that mainly uses scent...that is the tough part. Even if I see 50 carp, all tailing and feeding like crazy, I have to cast at ONE fish in order to have success. When I see 100 non feeding carp...my odds go way down.

Sunning carp simlply are not feeding. You can occasionally talk one into eating, but it is tough, and usually the attempts result in spooking one which blows them all. In general...I keep walking and look for better targets. If I have no other fish around I will try to talk a summer into eating, but mostly I move on.

Sunning carp suck!

O
OnTheFly
john montana said:
Sunning carp suck!
Com'on John, they all suck. That's why their mouths are shaped that way.:rolleyes:

I
igquick
So I went to wal-mart and tried to look for hybrid flys and san juan worms, and obviously I didn't find them, BUT I did find some wooly buggers, nymphs and other flys...would they work too? and isn't presentation more important than the fly itself?...I was thinking just go out, and throw some wooly buggers and just move on to the next fish if they didn't like it

I just got my flyrod for anniversary just now, thanks kristine!

J
john montana
The hybrid is my fly, so it isn't really available commercially, but will be soon.

Super easy to tie. Wooly buggers sometimes work, but you are better off with nymphs like hares ears etc. find some San Juan worm patterns too. Hit up a fly shop, they will have a better selections of flies. River city in Beaverton is great.

I
igquick
Thank you!

Another question, what size should the fly be?

J
john montana
I use mostly sizes 6-10...

I
igquick
I hate to admit it but I do get your point in snagging carp, and even though it is legal to snag common carp from what ive read, it still doesn't seem right, so im going to put those trebles down and take a crack at fly fishing for them