Car camping ok, but car fishing?

M
Muhak Mountain
So I went to Walter Wirth to throw something at the brooders. Got there at just before sunup, about 7am. A few cars in the lot, but there is a full size black SUV parked right at waters edge. I figured maybe a drunk Thanksgiving. He had driven right down the boat ramp and off to the right as the water is still really low. I thought it was empty. So I set up down by restroom. More people started showing up, and then the guy gets outta the driver's seat, casts, get back in the car. Does it for awhile, more people show up, but I guess nobody said anything to him. Then he leaves. What? He comes back, does the same thing till at least 10am when I left. There was no disability issue, and if there was, that's what the disabled access dock is for. 10 yards behind this fool there are now over 50 cars parked in the PARKING LOT. *%#hole was my conclusion. Any other possibilities??? Wish I had a camera with me.

M
Muhak Mountain
Oh yeah, the fishing. Had a few bites, no caught. Did see a 18 pounder landed right by outlet dock. She was huge. Definitely looked out of place at Walter Wirth. Three guys in a boat also caught a giant. In the middle of the lake, with probably 200 people watching, these guys brought her to the boat, then started reaching. Ah ha! They forgot a net! Wasn't "no net syndrome" talked about in another thread recently? Anyway, after 10 minutes, she tired out and they heaved her in. I thought she'd break it off first. Otherwise, pretty slow but the weather was fantastic. I had also been there Tuesday and it was blowing and raining like crazy.

troutdude
troutdude
I can't seem to find it in the reg book; but I'm pretty sure that any rod must be "attended". So, I wonder if that SUV dude is fishing illegally?

T
TTFishon
It's been a long time but I've car fished before. Once at Dorena Res when I forgot my rain gear and once at Bellinger because I could.

T
TTFishon
troutdude said:
I can't seem to find it in the reg book; but I'm pretty sure that any rod must be "attended". So, I wonder if that SUV dude is fishing illegally?

I think there's a 10 ft rule. I leaned my rod up against my mirror. It was kind of a pain when I got a hit but it was perfectly legal.

G
GDBrown
I seem to recall something about you must be within 10 feet or 10 yards of your rod to have it considered tending the rod. I have done the same thing at Hagg lake from the parking lot along with many others when it is raining but I'm still only five feet from the rod when I do that.

To me it sounds like a different situation at WW as the parking lot is not that close to the waters edge. I have however seen it done down at the mouth of the Columbia when the buoy ten fishing is real hot the guys on the south jetty are parked right next the the shore (in the sand) with their rods in holders.

D
Drew9870
GD, he was at the bottom of the boat ramp doing this.

Muhak, I was the dude fly fishing, that was Berg03 you saw with me, we were lacking of any sleep from Black Friday.

That dude was pretty freakin lazy, it was a clear day, a bit cold but if one calls themself a fishermen, they can usually stand the cold. He ended up coming back later that day and pulled off to the right side of the boat ramp at the waters edge, I don't get it, why wouldn't he just use that Powerbait money and go to McDonalds? It's probably warm in there :lol:.

O
ORTC
I stopped by there friday afternoon. The weather was great. But it's so crowded. I walked around the lake and there were people at every bank openings. I saw two guys fly fishing. One with a kid near the platform at the north. One was at the far south end. Drew, where were you fly fishing?

I suppose the north end is where the preferred spot is. But considering the amount of people there, the water may be saturated with powerbait scent. Looks like there is only a small angle one can cast if not infringing on the neighbors. And even if someone happens to hook a brooder, the line probably will tangle with somebody else's if the fish makes any move. Just seems crazy to me.

D
Drew9870
I left around 10AM Friday, was pretty crapped out from staying up all night for some deals.

Was out on the tube today after banking it, didn't get a single hit, neither did my buddy in his kayak. Floatation is the way to go to avoid the crowds.

It really does suck that 75% of the people there basically rely on that pond for fish, looks like the Sixes River at the mouth during prime time, I'm half tempted to post a sign that says "Free Winter Steelhead lessons, I provide one day of tackle and guiding, you provide transportation" just so people can open up a bit to the world of fishing. Some of those people won't even reel in when you hook a big one, not only because they don't speak/understand much English, but because they sit there with a blank look on their face while you're fighting a fish, I relocate when people crowd me in, no point in starting a dispute over some crappy fish about the quality of an Oscar Meyer.

ORTC, if you hate the brooder crowds, shoot me a PM, I know of a place that is pretty much deserted when brooders get planted, talk about fish in a barrel, I'd probably go there if they planted 5 brooders haha.

B
Berg03
Ya that guy in the car was stupid lol. I left that morning at 9am with my limit, when i was there no broods caught. But i was def TIRED from black friday didn't sleep that day for 38 hours haha

J
JeannaJigs
I'll admit, back in the day I did a couple of hungover fishing days in the rain where I just didn't give a crap...and used my mirror as a rod holder...it's trout fishing...meh...who cares.

Won't see me doing that crap anymore though, god it's so boring.

B
bigsteel
If you guys think that is so bad go over the bridge at walter wirth and down the trail and you can watch junkies shoot meth all day if you so choose

D
Drew9870
They have a tent site on the East side of Wirth across the creek, I've personally never seen anything around Bluegill Pond or the rope swing on the creek, they did have a camp last year one the West side of Bluegill Pond across the creek.

I'm gonna start calling in, people let their dogs run loose in a city park, the dogs chase the ducks making them fly over your head and into the water, we all know they are flying sh** machines (never been crapped on, knock on wood). People feed the wildlife = polluting the pond. The pan-handlin, Heroin/Meth addicts camp out and also pollute the place. Oh, there should also be a leash law for kids, I couldn't tell you how many times I've had to stop in the middle of casting to let peoples kids wander around behind me, I have a saying while fly fishing, walk at own risk.

J
JeannaJigs
Hook a few kids, and the parents might get the memo. Although they probably won't...but you bet your ass that kid will pay more attention next time.

M
mrlindeman
Drew and I were there friday morning and that guy pulled off the boat ramp and almost hit a kid. Anyone see this guy again, call it in. I had no phone on me but people were pretty pissed.

F
fredaevans
You see this 95% of the time at the Social Security hole on the Chetco River in SW Oregon. Rods are usually in a hammered in rod holder at rivers edge. Guys are in their truck/car sipping coffee, reading, listening to the radio. Bell clipped to the Plunking Rod is the 'heads up' if they get lucky.
fae