Can I get an ID on this surf perch?

S
sportsmanlio
My buddy caught this last fall near Gold Beach. It looks like the Walleye Surfperch I've caught off the pier in Seal Beach, CA, but I don't remember those having stripes or the red fin. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
F
fishindude
I believe that is a Barred Surf Perch. I could be wrong but we used to catch a bunch of them around Bandon that looked like that.

Last edited:
O
Orange_Caddis
Could it be a walleye surfperch?

Jason

S
sportsmanlio
fishindude: The Barred Surfperch is another name for a Redtail Surfperch (being held), and looks a lot like a Calico Surfperch (on sand):

Orange_Caddis: That is what I thought, but I've caught those in Southern California, and they don't have the barring or the red fin. This has black fins (as opposed to pink or olive with the fish above), and the one red fin. It also had the dark stripes and the oversized eye.

Any other ideas? This has been irritating me for a while now. :/

Last edited by a moderator:
C
chrisohm
Barred surfperch. They eye is not big enough or spaced properly to be a walleye surfperch.

F
fishindude
"The Barred Surfperch is another name for a Redtail Surfperch " You might want to let Fish & Game know this as they have them listed and pictured seperately. Just my 2cents worth. :cool:

S
sportsmanlio
You're right. I didn't realize they were separate species, fishindude. Looking at that ID sheet, it was a walleye surfperch (barred variation). This still doesn't show the red fin, which is weird, but otherwise it looks exactly like that one.

Thanks!

S
sportsmanlio
Looking at that chart, I also realize that both of the pictures in my second post were Redtail Surfperch. I took them to a bait shop and was informed otherwise, but this chart probably trumps the shop owner...

C
CoastieFlo
They are all pinkfins AKA Redtail Surfperch........there is a huge variation in their colors, they all eat good is the important part.

Q
qwapaw
If it was caught in a bay, I would say it is a piling perch. I have caught some real nice one that look just about like that. Whatever it is, I bet it ate real good on you plate. Qwa