Busted rod

M
mosd
was suppose to fish with some buds saturday early in the morning but both of them decided to sleep in, so i towed drift boat back to house and crashed out abit. woke up around 11 and decided to be a bank maggot, grabbed my drift and bobber rod an planned on fishing the siuslaw but drove through triangle lake aka back way for me since i live in jc an was gonna start my fishing on stagecoach rd but seen that lake cr was looking real good, but just about every pull off had a car at it till i got down lower and noticed an real nice deep hole with no cars parked at it. got out an grabbed drift rod, and first cast hooked up onto this beaut. it was a hard fought battle fearing that it was gonna head down river through a chute which the rod i was using was so limber i wouldn't be able to turn it but he was smart an stayed put, almost had him on the bank then he decided he wanted to go back out in deeper water all a sudden when "snap" my fetha styx rod busted.. needless to say, i managed to get him in an since he busted my rod i busted him.. since he had a racing stripe i figured he'd be white flesh but nope, nice an bright orange meat.

• lake cr 2-2-13.jpg
N
neverbackdown7
Awesome fish! What size of Fetha Styx were you using?

M
mosd
It was one of there first rods that they came out with before the CCA series. it was 8-12lb 8'6", i got it on consignment through ORRT. after breaking it took it back to them and gonna have them replace the top, also bought one of the new homewater series rods. 9'2" 6-10 baitcaster. i like the lighter action rods, the rod that i busted ive landed 20 lb springers with it so it makes no difference to me

N
nwkiller
Nice fish man

T
tomriker
Lol bank maggot... I always refer to it as slumming it

D
dtikey
good job Ryan and look at that your even got a smile

C_Run
C_Run
That's the way to bust one. I usually just slam the car door on it.

R
rippin fish lips
I usually end up getting tripped up and falling on my rods when i break them. (getting better at it). 1 hell of a steelie! Lake creek been tuff for me.

E
eugene1
That looks like a looooooong steelie. Nice work.

Too bad about the busted rod. I have one of the CCA featha stix and it sure seems limber. I always baby it, but wouldn't hesitate to give it some serious pull to get a fish in.

Best,

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice fish ryan! Man i would be pissed if i loaded up the boat and left the house to find out about the lack of planned partners. I always call my partners at a pre determined awake time to make sure they got up to the alarm so even if they got a lil extra sleep we dont loose time. too bad about the rod but makes for a great story since you got that sucker and made him pay lol. My dads friend was fishing the slaw below stage coach one winter in the late 80s and had a fish get wrapped up in some tree branches and ended up busting him off. with the line now tied to the branches and the fish still on the guy drove to walton and scooped up his drifter and made it back to retrieve the fish. hard to believe but crazy **** like your story and countless others and some of my own personal experiances make me believe it.