Better get out Sunday or Monday!

C
CoastieFlo
Only 2 to 3 ft swell predicted on MSW on Sunday and Monday.....get out there on the end of jetties while you can!

C
chrisohm
Nice!! I will be hitting up the jetty in Newport on Monday! Vacation time!

N
Noahk
Heading out of Depoe on Sunday! Can't wait!

Time to restock the freezer

100_0041.jpg

W
waco
I'm thinking of heading that direction this weekend!! :think:

C
CoastieFlo
Oh a Kayak guy! cool. Ive always thought that would be a great way to reach some great fishing grounds, but I dont know if they make those big enough for 6'4" 300lb guys lol.

D
DYJ
We're heading out of Depoe also on Sunday, maybe tomorrow too.

N
Noahk
CoastieFlo said:
Oh a Kayak guy! cool. Ive always thought that would be a great way to reach some great fishing grounds, but I dont know if they make those big enough for 6'4" 300lb guys lol.
They do actually. There are number of boats that go up to 450 lbs. Once you do it once though, there's no going back!

B
bythesea
Noahk said:
Heading out of Depoe on Sunday! Can't wait!

Time to restock the freezer

100_0041.jpg

looks like a blast!!!:dance: I wish we had some rock piles around here. I'm headed out on captain's charters sunday I'll be back with some pic's :D really nice fish those lings should start getting bigger soon.

C
CoastieFlo
How much does one of those Captains Charters trips cost? Thats up out of Depoe or Newport?

B
BlackBass
Taking a charter today, and fishing off the Rocks Tomorrow , The cost I believe is $64. I am looking forward to Sunday this is the best time of year for lings inshore. Tight lines everyone

B
bythesea
can't wait to see how you did...mine's $70

C
CoastieFlo
Planning on being down by the Triangle tomorrow morning...probably start out past the 3 rocks in the triangle for perch/greenling.....white T100 pickup, say hi if you see me..lol

H
hawgslayer
Went down to Charleston yesterday. A little windy just after low slack, but the winds subsided shortly after. Did pretty good on greenling ending up with 16 and 2 black bass between 3 of us. No lings though

C
CoastieFlo
Winchester Bay is muddy muddy muddy........nothing doing, just a few crabs on the line. Going to be a while before it clears up with more rain on the way. I assume its so bad from the recent snowmelt coming down from N and S Umpqua.

H
hawgslayer
CoastieFlo said:
Winchester Bay is muddy muddy muddy........nothing doing, just a few crabs on the line. Going to be a while before it clears up with more rain on the way. I assume its so bad from the recent snowmelt coming down from N and S Umpqua.

Windy Bay was out first stop Saturday morning. We made a quick decision to head further south, and were rewarded for sure. Like I said it was mostly all greenling, but it was catching and not just fishing.

C
CoastieFlo
Do you fish from the bank down there in Charleston or boat? Ive never fished down there.......crabbed a bit, but never fished.

H
hawgslayer
CoastieFlo said:
Do you fish from the bank down there in Charleston or boat? Ive never fished down there.......crabbed a bit, but never fished.

We fish off of the north jetty. It's kind of a long drive down a sand road. Most of the fish come from the river side, and it's fairly unique because we've caught keeper lings way way up the jetty so there's isn't much hiking involved. Plus if you do go out on the jetty it's completely rocked and flat on top.

N
Noahk
I ended up launching at Pacific City and had a great day on the water. Fished with 6-7 other kayak guys and had a busy day of catching. We launched from the beach around 8:00 and made it through the surf without incident.The fishing was good right off the bat I caught 4-5 Lings in the 22-25" range between about 8:00 and 10:00. While fishing in 40-60 feet of water I located a few schools of blacks but all of them were in the 8-12 inches, sent all of them back. Finally we found a few schools in 80-90 feet with larger fish and I put 6 of them on the game clip, biggest nearly 9-20 inches. We could have been on the beach by about 12:00 with limits but we decided to continue to fish. The bite seemed to slow mid afternoon and around 2:00 we moved in closer to "the rock". In this area the bite picked back up and we boated a few more lings, underlings, and cabbies. While working an area about 25 yards off the rock, attempting to catch a greenling, I caught my biggest ling (27 inches) of the day in about 30 feet of water.

All told I think I caught somewhere between 8-12 keeper sized lings to 27", 4-5 underlings, 2 cabbies, and 12-15 blacks. I was taking pictures of each fish until the battery on my camera died The Salt was a blast as usual and I lucked out with my surf landing with nearly no waves to contend with. A few of the guys were not so lucky and ended up doing some swimming back into the beach.

Getting ready to launch
DSCF1043.jpg
We had one guy hooked up with a huge fish for 30-40 minutes. Not sure what it was but he never got it close enough to see.
DSCF1047.jpg
Still hooked up....
DSCF1051.jpg

DSCF1058.jpg
Baby Octopus? One of the Lings puked this up.
DSCF1060.jpg

DSCF1064.jpg

Nice double
DSCF1065.jpg

DSCF1068.jpg

DSCF1072.jpg

DSCF1073.jpg
My biggest Ling after my camera died
IMG00187-20120325-1630.jpg
IMG00189-20120325-1633.jpg

Last edited:
C
CoastieFlo
Wow thats a huge bass, probably 40-50 years old....nice.
Looks like going out in a group is definitely the way to go (for safety anyway).
I bet that guy had on a nice Halibut, thats why he never got it up.

N
Noahk
CoastieFlo said:
Wow thats a huge bass, probably 40-50 years old....nice.
Looks like going out in a group is definitely the way to go (for safety anyway).
I bet that guy had on a nice Halibut, thats why he never got it up.
I think the blacks grow pretty fast, it didn't taste that old :) Good possibility on the butt. His gear was also on the lighter side. We were thinking it might have also been a skate.