Berkley Power Eggs vs. Power Bait - lot's of information

troutdude
troutdude
Well, now that ODFW has again started posting the Trout Stocking schedules for the new year...I figure, it's once again time to re-post this popular thread. Since originally starting this thread, it's now had almost 20,000 views. Hopefully, this has helped a lot of peeps--and their families--while out trout fishing. With any luck, it'll help even more. So, read on...and feel free to add appropriate comments, as you wish.

Tight lines,

TD

H
halibuthitman
I actually like to go the "purist" route with a night crawler and the mallow.. Kinda the old bamboo rod of the urban pond culture-

troutdude
troutdude
halibuthitman said:
I actually like to go the "purist" route with a night crawler and the mallow.. Kinda the old bamboo rod of the urban pond culture-

Add a single salmon egg, to that mix, and you've got yourself a "Wickiup Sandwich"!

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
In my opinion they both bring in planter trout exactly the same but I prefer the Power Eggs because one egg lasts as long as 15 hooks worth of the bait

troutdude
troutdude
SiletzTroutKiller said:
In my opinion they both bring in planter trout exactly the same but I prefer the Power Eggs because one egg lasts as long as 15 hooks worth of the bait

DING DING! Ergo, less money spent and more fish caught (your line can go right back into the drink, without having to re-rig the bait). The other primary tactical advantage is: the Power Eggs, Magnum Eggs, etc. do NOT easily come OFF of your hook. The end result is; a near 100% guarantee of hook-ups (using Power Eggs, rather than Power Bait)! It is also easier to remove the single hooks, from a fish that you want to release. But, with Power Bait you MUST use treble hooks--which naturally result in greater fish mortality rates. And that is, my primary reason for starting this thread to begin with: more hook ups, with more fish safely released.

F
fish face
Fish eggs!? Never heard of them, but I’m intrigued. Are they easy to find?

F
fish face
fish face said:
Fish eggs!? Never heard of them, but I’m intrigued. Are they easy to find?

I mean Power eggs. I have heard of fish eggs (LOL).

T
troutmasta
I use power eggs until I go to trillium and can see them floating everywhere. Then I swith to gulp and It seems to help.

I'm highly fond of the Chartruese Glitter Power Eggs, which I've refered to as "stripper eggs" for years.

Every time I use them I come home Covered in glitter, and smelling like shame.

Last edited:
S
Smellsfishy
Back when I used bait, I always preferred Powerbait. Never tried the eggs. Now I primarily use a fly under a clear bobber. Even my kids are old enough to use this technique now (used to always use PB for the kids).