Bay crabbing reports?

A
AKFinn
Headed either to Newport or Waldport weekend of Sept 27, and looking for reports on bay crabbing. Likely will rent a boat one day, would rather crab from shore to save $$ but also want crab to eat!

B
bran_man
Not too sure about that area but I know winchester and charleston are not that great so far this year. Granted people are still getting keepers, but no where near as good as it should be this time of year. Have talked to a couple wardens and general consensus is a crappy year overall... :( They could just be waiting for those first big stretches of rain to get pushed in more? not sure. I would def rent a boat if you can. much better chances to get away from those dock crowds...

C
cddunn
Not so hot (for me) in Tillamook Bay last week also.

A
AKFinn
Thanks for the feedback, let's hope it improves before next weekend! Also, I thought the rains were bad and crabbing was not good after big rain events?

hobster
hobster
True, the salinity decreases in the bays with heavy rain and pushes the crab back into the ocean. I'd imagine we need a lot of rain for that to happen since its been so dry. I'll be crabbing next weekend also, good luck to you and hopefully we can fill our pots and have a great dinner!

A
AKFinn
hobster said:
True, the salinity decreases in the bays with heavy rain and pushes the crab back into the ocean. I'd imagine we need a lot of rain for that to happen since its been so dry. I'll be crabbing next weekend also, good luck to you and hopefully we can fill our pots and have a great dinner!

Where are you headed? I'm still undecided. Like Bandon more than Coos Bay, but boat rental cheaper in Waldport?? Too many options. Hope to hear bay crabbing improves before the 28th..

H
HereFishy
I'm heading out for some crab next weekend as well. I'm heading to Yaquina Bay. Sounds like I won't have much luck though. I'll let you guys know how I did.

D
DrTheopolis
Did Nehalem Bay last weekend. Pretty mediocre. 3 of us (9 pots) were getting about 15 a day, crabbing for about 3 hours per day (last of incoming, beginning of ebb).

hobster
hobster
AKFinn said:
Where are you headed? I'm still undecided. Like Bandon more than Coos Bay, but boat rental cheaper in Waldport?? Too many options. Hope to hear bay crabbing improves before the 28th..

I'm heading to Charleston with the wife for our anniversary. Never been there before but I hear crabbing can be real good down there.

Casting Call
Casting Call
In the words of Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527) I am gonna "Let the cat out of the bag" Netarts Bay is where the crabbing is. There is no Fresh Water tributaries. Salt water in, Salt water out. Beware of crab trap traps. Lots of moving sand and seaweed/kelp. Eat well my friends! Tony