Barview jetty

L
Liphooked
caught a tiny sea bass. was wondering what baits and scents I should use? jigs and grubs work storm x shads work too, I've caught with them. Trying to hook into some thing good sized and eatable. Thanks for the help. I've thrown a few back because they are only pounders, are they the size to keep? (Here on the coast)

C
chrisohm
My cousin goes on dives to get his catch. He told me the best time to get the bigger fish was in the evening, before and after sunset when fishing around jetties but it has been a while for me. Pounders are great but if you want the bigger boys then fish later. I am sure it is the same just before the sun breaks and maybe a little while after. Pay attention to the tides though and if you want something more substantial during the day I suggest fishing off the bottom closer to the end of the jetty with a sliding sinker setup, maybe 6-10oz weight, using herring/squid/octopus or even a plastic with some scent suitable for saltwater fishing. There are many to choose from and most of the fish are not very picky as long as the offering looks like their food.

Reactions: Liphooked and Raincatcher
N
Noahk
Throw jig heads in sizes 1-3 ounces with plastic scampi tails or swim baits. Cast out, let them sink to the bottom and slow retrieve. Something like below but without the shrimp ties. I'd suggest fishing the incoming tide, I personally don't think the time of day matters that much. Also, if you have a life jacket I'd suggest wearing it on the jetty. People get swept off the jettys and die every year from sleeper waves. Good luck!

IMG_0170.jpg
IMG_0172.jpg

Reactions: Liphooked and Raincatcher
T
troutmasta
Noahk said:
Throw jig heads in sizes 1-3 ounces with plastic scampi tails or swim baits. Cast out, let them sink to the bottom and slow retrieve. Something like below but without the shrimp ties. I'd suggest fishing the incoming tide, I personally don't think the time of day matters that much. Also, if you have a life jacket I'd suggest wearing it on the jetty. People get swept off the jettys and die every year from sleeper waves. Good luck!
Great Help! That exactly what I use as well tackle wise! Thanks!

L
Liphooked
Thank you all. Them waves were beautiful. The sound of the waves the fog horn. Got skunked today but there will be other times. Totally great trip to barview jetty. I'm going to plan for a high +tide. I caught better then I did this weekend. Good luck all.

S
Socaaron
Hit the coast last weekend for a family camping trip, after getting some really bad take crabbing in the netarts bay decided to hit up the jetty on sunday for some fishing. Hit the jetty around 5:30 pm, tide table claimed high was at 4:30 but it was still cruising in at a good clip. I set up for jigging and rigged my cousin for sand shrimp off the bottom, saw a few boats trolling for salmon but they didn't stick around long. Tide was still a bit to strong to effectively fish the jigs so I switched over to sand shrimp as well. Lost a few rigs getting hung up on the bottom and no real action just the occasional bare hook(crabs,small fish,etc). Just about every other fisher person left for the day(with one nice man giving us a good sized greenling cause he only caught one and thats not a meal!). Then the magic happened. The tide changed and had a nice slow outgoing flow. Just about every other cast was a fish with some not even settling before "bink bink bink" fish on. Ended up with 4 more good sized greenlings(10-14in) and about a dozen smaller greenlings and kelp greenlings tossed back. All in the space of an hour or less. Walked back to the car with the dwindling light around 8:45-9pm. Good day! was really nice to be able to get my cousin into some fish seeing as she bought her license and tags(all out of state $$$$) She's going to be around another 2 weeks hopefully we can get into some other fish

T
troutmasta
Congrats. Sounds Like a great time!

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
Congrats thats cool.

I want to make a trip out there.