Bank fish MFW Elijah Bristow State Park

A
Aton
Anybody here ever bank fish at Elijah Bristow? Seems like a lot of public access. Is it worthwhile? It looks ok from outer space(Google) What say Ye?

Troutski
Troutski
Absolutely worth it, fished it for years... follow the path either up stream or down. Trout, Salmon and Steelhead have been caught from the glory hole up stream about a half mile or so.
Tight lines and be safe on the water...

Chuck

A
Aton
Troutski said:
Absolutely worth it, fished it for years... follow the path either up stream or down. Trout, Salmon and Steelhead have been caught from the glory hole up stream about a half mile or so.
Tight lines and be safe on the water...

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, went there yesterday, looked like pretty good fishing, only caught a smolt, but it seems promising. Wished I'd known how lost you can get on horse trails when you head downriver.

Troutski
Troutski
Sorry, my bad... I just forgot about the maze . Great place any time of year, although during the heavy flow days it can be mighty intimidating to say the least. Another cool spot on the Willy is walk down stream from the small park on the west side of the Jasper Bridge "Willamette Green Trail". Very cool hike and some very productive fishing opportunities along the way. Again not recommended in heavy flow times.
Were you tossing lures "Spoons/Spinners"?
Glad you were able to make it out...
Tight lines..

Chuck

R
rippin fish lips
$$$ LEARN THE AREA. Good area to cover water, and if your one that likes to fish steel and salmon and trout at the same time on the bank. GOOD AREA TO DO SO. BTW The trail along the river is 6 miles i believe. Lots of water to fish, hiking. Bring atleast a drink on the way... And... a good walking stick will make any bank/round boulder rock walking 10x faster there. Be ready to cover some water... and lots of ground. lol. You have every type of water to fish in this area.

B
bigsteel
where is this trail?

A
Aton
Troutski said:
Sorry, my bad... I just forgot about the maze . Great place any time of year, although during the heavy flow days it can be mighty intimidating to say the least. Another cool spot on the Willy is walk down stream from the small park on the west side of the Jasper Bridge "Willamette Green Trail". Very cool hike and some very productive fishing opportunities along the way. Again not recommended in heavy flow times.
Were you tossing lures "Spoons/Spinners"?
Glad you were able to make it out...
Tight lines..

Chuck

Corkies/Yarn/Little Cleos. I had our new lab pup with me so I wasn't able to aggressively work the river bank. He was quite content to walk the horse trails BTW, manure everywhere. I'll bring along my float/jig setup as well next outing I think. Hands were kinda full as pup is not ready to go off-leash. Park on the West side of Jasper Bridge? is that on the north side or HWY 58 side of bridge?

R
rhubarb
Trout Tuesday

Trout Tuesday

I was out there Tuesday morning for a few hours, c/r 10 fish...
All were feisty and in the 8-10" range, NOT A SINGLE CLIPPED FIN

glory hole up stream about a half mile or so

From the blue fish marker: Would that be upstream from the fork, or the stretch by the island just below...?

trout1_4-30-2013.jpg

Troutski
Troutski
:clap::dance:

R
rhubarb
Out again today, the river was a few inches higher, and a tad faster. The bite was not as good as Tuesday, but I hooked into a few fighters and c/r a nice cutthroat. The flow made it hard to get my lures to the bottom in the spots I wanted, but I enjoyed the hike either way.

cutthroat_5-3-2013_middle-fork.jpg

Troutski
Troutski
When the flow gets high give a Gold 1/4oz Kastmaster a try.... an amazing lure on the entire Willamette system.
Great that you are still going, keep it up next thing you know you will hookup with one of those Summers in the system.. It happens more than you know, just keep up the pressure...

Tight lines..

Chuck

R
rippin fish lips
rhubarb said:
Out again today, the river was a few inches higher, and a tad faster. The bite was not as good as Tuesday, but I hooked into a few fighters and c/r a nice cutthroat. The flow made it hard to get my lures to the bottom in the spots I wanted, but I enjoyed the hike either way.

That bank looks familiar. When the flows are high. A 2/3 or 2/5oz little cleo, cast across let the lure sink 2 seconds, flip ur bail real in slack, let it sink again... Swing your lure through the fast current and into the soft seam on your bank (if its the one i am thinking you caught this fish at) you can get them to bite at the bottom end of your swing. back to your side with your lure.

This park has a lot of undercut bank edges that make great spinner water too. Get a number 3 spinner, and cast along these undercut banks and you are golden. Get some Mikes earth worm oil scent to put on your lures and your golden.

If you go strait to the river from the parking lot, once you hit the river, walk the trail all the way up. You will run into a few holes that seem to hold some big fish in it through the whole summer. Walk the banks in this park in the fall and you will be caught casting at rising steel all day long when the first rains hit. It's a long trail like said on the last page, but you will forget about everything and only be worrying about you, whats around you and the fish. Usually wont see another soul.

Bring your drink of choice... and a snack of choice. That walk is ruff on a hot day with no water or snacks. Trust me.

Last edited:
R
rhubarb
Thanks for the encouragement and advice guys.. getting my bearings out there for sure. I have been hitting Jasper park, but the privacy at EB makes all the difference.

BTW..... Found a knife out there Tuesday, if someone dropped one, msg me with a description and I will get it back to it's owner.

A
allforthefish
Troutski said:
When the flow gets high give a Gold 1/4oz Kastmaster a try.... an amazing lure on the entire Willamette system.
Great that you are still going, keep it up next thing you know you will hookup with one of those Summers in the system.. It happens more than you know, just keep up the pressure...

Tight lines..

Chuck
how does one find this "glory hole" you speak of? my wife and I are just starting to explore the area from jasper up to the dam. any tips appreciated!