Bamboo fly rods

O
OnTheFly
I was inspired to write something about bamboo fly rods by troutdudes Christmas wish thread but after I was finished I thought it should be in a thread of it's own. Good on you troutdude for considering one of these rods. Maybe Santa will be generous to you this year.:cool:

My opinion for bamboo rods goes like this: They are nothing short than a fine piece of craftsmanship. Like a woman, they are beautiful and delicate and nice to hold. They should not be used as a primary rod but rather like a classic sports car to be taken out on occasion and driven with the top down on a warm summer night. The action on the bamboo rod is mushy and slow but the way they load all the way down to the cork is a great feel. These rods are much heavier than their modern graphite or fiberglass counterparts and casting them for long periods of time will eventually do a number on your arm. But owning one, I think, is more of a nostalgic thing than a necessity. Our rivers, lakes and streams were conquered by these rods decades ago. How cool would it be to take a bamboo rod and isolate yourself in places like the McCloud in California or the Au Sable in Michigan or even the Tongariro in New Zealand, for that matter, and fish in the footsteps of fly fishing pioneers. The experience would be epic.

Last edited:
C
CodyW1119
Great post. My brother bought a bamboo fly rod a few years from a guy who had it hanging on his wall.
The guy said it had been hanging there for 15 years. The guy was in shock when my brother said he was going to use it for fishing and not for looks. My brother threw on some line and has been using it ever since. I even got my first fish on a fly rod using it. So I agree don't just let those bamboo rods collect dust. Use them and apperciate them once in a while .

H
halibuthitman
bamboo rods are in fact just like a woman, if you don't have one you are enchanted by them, want to hold one and wiggle it, but like a woman... most are far too expensive for the man that wants to own one.. bamboo is nice to look at and has a nice bend in it.. but just like a woman you think they would be fun until youve spent all day on the water with one... walking through the door, feeling beat up and inadequate.. and once you have worked hard, mastered all of the nuances of the medium, bought the rod of your dreams and have made a team of it, someone walks by with a sexy new z-axis shining in the sun.. and all of a sudden your rod feels old and slow.. and you find yourself dreaming at night of a new rod.. sometime you even dream of a new longer sleeker faster rod while you are with your old bamboo rod, then one day you go fishing with a buddy and you drink a little too much and borrow one of his rods and the cheating begins... you are a *******, " moral of the story " Rod lust costs people their marriages-

J
john montana
I got bit by the bamboo bug years ago...they are fine fishing tools in the right setting. I even built one from scratch, which was quite the experience. Start with a 12 foot long culm of bamboo and end up with a 7 ft 6 inch 4 wt based on a Paul young taper called the "perfectionist". I still fish that rod every year in MN and when I hit the crooked. My buddy is a builder, and keeps telling me he could build a hollow, quad bamboo rod that would hold up to carp, but I am not buying it! I would be too afraid of ending up with a pile of kindling. They are beautiful fishing tools, and the absolute best way to feel connected to a trout.

The 4 wt I built:

9e762f54a4bcdab3d18416e7a8b23761.jpg

On a side note, I have a dozen or so cane rods that need some tlc that I could part with. Missing guides, need to be rewrappd etc.

troutdude
troutdude
So John, how did you get that fly to pose for you??? LOL

I'm glad that my Christmas Wish thread, was the impetus for this new thread.

A few years ago--while visiting w/ a potential client in Stayton--I got to see his shop. It was amazing; because ALL is shop is for is to build one-of-a-kind Bamboo masterpieces. At the time--to satisfy Hitman's curiosity--he was still married too.

Now, for the rest of the story...page 2.

Earlier this year, my travels again found me in the hamlet of Stayton. As I was pulling away, from my appointment there, I noticed a sign on the side of a parked pick up. As if I had an auto-pilot; my rig did a proverbial 180.

In short, I found myself at the home of Jim Loucks. Then, I had the utter privilege of holding a $4,000 gem! I'm glad to report, that I had a hanky handy...to wipe up my DROOL!

During our conversation; I also discovered that Jim fancies himself as a student of the force. His Jedi Master, was the OTHER Staytonian that I had met a couple of years earlier. He had moved down to our parts of the globe, from Seattle. He wanted a place, where he could focus on his "hobby". His name is Darryl Whitehead. Darryl's name, is one of but a few NW custom cane builders mentioned in "Oregon Bamboo", by Joe Beelart.

Jim is a really nice guy. And his "products" are amazing. I can only imagine, what Darryl's rods must be like! I only say the shop.

Pardon me a moment, I need to find another hanky...

P.S. Back in the 80's (the time that Graphite and S-Glass rods came onto the market), I used to see dozens and dozens of Bamboo rods, at many yard sales. I am still KICKING myself, for not buying them ALL. Sure, much of it was likely junk...but, I also could have wound up w/ several gems!

Last edited:
F
fredaevans
We're early in the month, but I think I'm reading the beginnings of "Thread of the Month."

Have several, including a 'SpeyBoo' that has only seen water a couple of times since I purchased same 10 - 12 years ago. Old Hardy reel, 10wt DT and 2/0 Atlantic Salmon fly on the end. Wonderful to cast then 'Self said to Self' .... if you break it, could you ever get it repaired? (Rod was built for me in Finland of all places.)

Went home and bought large brass 'coat hooks' and mounted same on the wall (second home now) and anyone who walks in, just about the first thing they see. Have two shortie trouters (a 3 and 5 wt) and a hoot to cast for trout.

Nuts, I wish I hadn't read this post as now I've got the hots for a 2hander to really fish for Steelhead. Why do I know this is going to cost me money?

H
halibuthitman
fredaevans said:
We're early in the month, but I think I'm reading the beginnings of "Thread of the Month."

Have several, including a 'SpeyBoo' that has only seen water a couple of times since I purchased same 10 - 12 years ago. Old Hardy reel, 10wt DT and 2/0 Atlantic Salmon fly on the end. Wonderful to cast then 'Self said to Self' .... if you break it, could you ever get it repaired? (Rod was built for me in Finland of all places.)

Went home and bought large brass 'coat hooks' and mounted same on the wall (second home now) and anyone who walks in, just about the first thing they see. Have two shortie trouters (a 3 and 5 wt) and a hoot to cast for trout.

Nuts, I wish I hadn't read this post as now I've got the hots for a 2hander to really fish for Steelhead. Why do I know this is going to cost me money?

awww come on freda... you grab the spey boo and I,ll grab my fiberhammer and we can go terrorize the N umpqua... it would be better to break the rod in half than to retire it to the brass hooks.. seriously

F
fredaevans
As a 10/11 weight the Finnish Boo would be total over kill on the NU. Now the lower Rogue?????

H
halibuthitman
fredaevans said:
As a 10/11 weight the Finnish Boo would be total over kill on the NU. Now the lower Rogue?????

Ive been known to drive 400 miles to fish for 6 inchers in a creek you could urinate across... so im not too picky on what water... just water. It would be great to bring a couple guys down there and fish that fantastic river!

F
FlyBum
halibuthitman said:
bamboo rods are in fact just like a woman, if you don't have one you are enchanted by them, want to hold one and wiggle it, but like a woman... most are far too expensive for the man that wants to own one.. bamboo is nice to look at and has a nice bend in it.. but just like a woman you think they would be fun until youve spent all day on the water with one... walking through the door, feeling beat up and inadequate.. and once you have worked hard, mastered all of the nuances of the medium, bought the rod of your dreams and have made a team of it, someone walks by with a sexy new z-axis shining in the sun.. and all of a sudden your rod feels old and slow.. and you find yourself dreaming at night of a new rod.. sometime you even dream of a new longer sleeker faster rod while you are with your old bamboo rod, then one day you go fishing with a buddy and you drink a little too much and borrow one of his rods and the cheating begins... you are a *******, " moral of the story " Rod lust costs people their marriages-

That's such a great comparison! :)

Here's another great comparison that recently came across my e-mail (I swapped "fly rod" for "gun", couldn't figure out #1 please help):

#10 You can trade an old fly rod for a new fly rod and even get money back!

#9 You can keep one fly rod at home and have another for when you're on the
road.

#8 If you admire a friend's fly rod and tell him so, he will probably
let you try it out a few times.

#7 Your primary fly rod doesn't mind if you keep another fly rod for a backup.

#6 Your fly rod will stay with you even if you run out of flies.

#5 A fly rod doesn't take up a lot of closet space.

#4 Fly rods function normally every day of the month.

#3 A fly rod doesn't ask , "Do this new reel make me look fat?"

#2 A fly rod doesn't mind if you go to sleep after you use it.

#1 YOU CAN BUY A SILENCER FOR A GUN

J
jrbecca
If anyone is interested, a good acquaintance of mine is selling the last bamboo rods ever made by Sam Drukman. I do not know the price, but the money spent goes to support his wife and daughter.

F
fredaevans
halibuthitman said:
Ive been known to drive 400 miles to fish for 6 inchers in a creek you could urinate across... so im not too picky on what water... just water. It would be great to bring a couple guys down there and fish that fantastic river!

Well the good news is we're still getting summer runs moving into the upper river and winter fish are coming in at the bottom. This year the Rogue is getting a bumper crop of fish. Best runs since the very early 2000's. I believe! Only up/down size of it is when they pulled Gold Ray dam out the one and only fish counting station went with it. So only 'estimate' is the actual number of fish that entered the hatchery. But with the dam gone an additional 15 miles of the river opened up for fishing/spawning.