Aug13 Siuslaw update...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
good news is the water temp is dropping, last Fri. I was seeing 60-62F, today it was 56-58F, even a little lower, 55F in the jaws but also 55F just over the bar. I did not mark any large fish between Florence and the ocean... I fished for several hours in the jaws (BigAl and cut herring) hoping a chinook might poke it's nose in but no such luck...went ahead and crossed the Siuslaw bar and goofed around in mellow 2ft ocean swells, then headed back to pick up the crab pot I dropped by the CG station, it had one big keeper in it that we have named "dinner"...:D

to test if Raincatcher is paying attention, attached is an image looking back from the ocean to the north of Florence....:D

cheers, roger

C_Run
C_Run
You're pretty brave, man! Going to do a dry run w/ spinners on a different water body tomorrow (didn't get herring yet). Hoping lightning strikes. Keep on posting.

C

E
eugene1
Looks like great conditions today! What happened to going to the Ump? There should be more fish around down there since they come in earlier on that system.

Best,

Y
Yogidabear
if you want to pick up more crab drop your pot just east of the fish ladder about half way between it and the finger jetty it goes from 30 ft to 55 on a drop off. I dive that all the time and it's full of crab.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Hmmmph! :rolleyes: It LOOKS calm enough, but I know there is a sneaky wave or three out there just waiting to dump on me. :protest: I can tell cuz the water in my bathtub tries to sneak up on me all the time,too...:tongue:

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
eugene1 said:
Looks like great conditions today! What happened to going to the Ump? There should be more fish around down there since they come in earlier on that system.

Best,

it is just hard to make the drive down there when I am so close to the Siuslaw and I know it so well. the big chromers will be here soon enough and I should have no problem filling the freezer and smoker...I would have pinched down some barbs and trolled some in the ocean but I didn't have my downrigger along...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Yogidabear said:
if you want to pick up more crab drop your pot just east of the fish ladder about half way between it and the finger jetty it goes from 30 ft to 55 on a drop off. I dive that all the time and it's full of crab.

fish ladder?

Y
Yogidabear
Yes, there is an old fish ladder that is all rusted out where divers get into the water right at the the first bend in the river.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Yogidabear said:
Yes, there is an old fish ladder that is all rusted out where divers get into the water right at the the first bend in the river.

I am familiar with a deep hole in the river just down from the first bend where there is a low green bouy and sandy beach with seals/lions on it, north side of the river. but not sure about the rusted out ladder, just never seen that...

Y
Yogidabear
let me claify it's just before the first bend close to the green buoy i'm going to say 200 yrds west of the bend .

11tqt7m.jpg