Anyone use one of the castable crab snares yet ???

T
TOJIACK FLOATMAN
Heading to Rockaway beach end of this month and a friend I know gave me a Crab snare that you cast into ol' Briney with a spinning rod. Concept seems ok at best and wondered if anyone has tried one. Also curious if you are using one of these is it considered under crabbing rules as a trap and can you have a second line in the water for fishing ? I love to maximize my chances of a fresh seafood dinner by any means that is legal. Give me a holler if you have any insight here people and good fishing to you all !

S
steelhead1
IDK know about the legalities of using two rods,I would guess it would not be legal. A call to ODFW would be the wise thing to do.The snares work(kinda),just keep them out of the rocks,they hang up easily. Good luck!

F
flocaster
I use the snares quite often & was disappointed with the "hookup" ratio initially. If you get the square wire cage with the leg snares, they will work a lot better if you cut the cage down by half & move the swivel to the side. It's difficult to describe but if you or anyone else wants to see pics you can pm me your email & I'll send a few your way. The "crabhawk" style folding traps work better but are more expensive & take a heavier rod/reel/line combo. They are also more prone to getting stuck in the rocks if there are any present. I've also been experimenting with making some homemade snares with modest success. As to the legality of using a snare & fishing at the same time its perfectly legal. The regs state that each crabber is allowed " crab may be taken by crab rings, pots, or baited lines ( limited to 3 rings, pots, or baited lines per person), by hand, dip net or rake. So they are considered separate from fishing. hope that helps you out

Last edited:
T
TOJIACK FLOATMAN
Thanks Guys ! Got a bit more insight as well from checking some you tube videos . One is to be sure to put about 3 to 4 ozs. of weight lashed to the bottom of the bait cage to allow it to settle flat on the bottom and to allow you to cast it well away from the rocks as possible. Another recommends to use on what tends to be the more prominent leeward ( down wind/down surf ) side of a jetty as has more silt as a rule on the bottom to help keep you out of the rocks. Not expecting a lot from these but even one or two crabs in the bucket along with a fish or two would make me a happy man. I will be taking my crab traps as well for some more serious pier or dock crabbin . The pressure is on as those who go with me hate goin crabbin but somehow seem to be the first ones to the table when the crabs come out of the cooker. :lol:

C
CoastieFlo
The snares work poorly at best. I would buy a crabhawk or similar, ive seen crabs actually caught with those. And yes they are considered a 'trap' and thus you can have 3 rods set up for them if you want that many. Guys in newport on the dock crab this way all the time (3 crabhawks on el cheapo spinning reel setups). Regardless of using a snare or crabhawk, you need a very stiff rod and at least 50lb line (either mono or braid).......even one keeper crab puts a lot of strain on your setup when you are yarding them in......and thats exactly what you have to do, dont let the rod tip drop and give it a long constant pull when you 'set the hook'.

F
fishtales
If ya call let us know. I would think that a snare would count as one of the the three traps the licence allows. It has nothing to do with the legalities of using two poles while fishing because they are two seprate licences.