Anyone ever used a "Side Planer?"

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Just ran across this thread over at iFish after seeing @eat, sleep, fish's mention of the use of a K9X Kwikfish. Was wondering if they could be used from the bank. Very interesting.

E
eat, sleep, fish
They can be deadly for us bankies. I've had mine in the tackle box for a few years, but had never given it the time it needed. I finally pulled it out last month and my first pass with it produced this nice buck on a "Blue Pirate" hot shot.

They can take a bit of practice to use, but once you get it down they're a great tool to have in the bag.

IMAG0115.jpg

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
NICE, man! I had never even heard of them until today. Dig it.

J
jawjacker
I'v known about those for a while and have wanted to give um a try but it's hard to abandon techniques your hammering fish on and try something completely different. I guess that's the fun of fishing is catching um how you want to catch um. I love the idea to be able to back a plug down the river with out a boat or outcropping of land. That's gotta be the way to go at times. I think Im gona get me one on the side planer this season.

Reactions: waco
E
eat, sleep, fish
They can be a pain in the rear to use (especially when first trying it), and you can't use them in a hole with other people unless it's a long run. Because of that you don't see to many people using them, but I have heard that they're pretty popular over on the Deschutes.

When the stars align though they can definitely produce.